changing front brakes on 300 sdl

hi...i'm going to change the brakes on my 86 300 sdl but i'm not sure as to what i am doing ....i can get the old pads off easy but i can't get the new
once in...what i did was i took the pins out and the clip off and was able to remove the old pads but the new ones won't fit in they are to thick...what am i doing wrong any help would be great or a link to a how to page would be even better thanks will
The calipaer piston needs to be pushed back. I don't recall how W126 looks like but I use a big C-clamp for all the cars I have maintained (10 or so, no two alike).
Will wrote:

Use a big screwdriver and push the piston all the way back... do one side at a time.

Take the cap off of the master cylinder.
With the master cyl. cap loose not off and bleeder slightly open with a hose on it leading to a container, take a 'turkey baster' or sme such device and remove some of the old brake fluid. If you do not do you may put presure on the piston (with a c-clamp) and when piston gives way (breaks free of the built up crud) forces blake fluid back up to the master cyl. and you have a mess that will remove paint.
thanks for your help everyone...fronts are done backs are next