Check Engine Light

I just purchased a '98 230 SLK. After I filled the gas tank for the first time and closed the lid tightly, the Check Engine Light came on while driving.
How do I turn off the light?
How do I prevent this from happening again?
Assuming, of course, that I did not close the lid properly (unlikely).
Thanks,
Vic
Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann wrote:

You'll need to have the error code read to find out what the problem is. AutoZone stores will do it for free, if there is one near you.
Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann wrote:

Vic,
AFAIK, you also must prevent overtightening, just close until you hear/feel the 'clack' when you close the gas cap. Otherwise, you can damage the gasket on the cap, thus preventing it from properly closing in the future. It it keeps turning on the CEL, maybe the best option is to replace the cap (or at least the gasket, if you manage to perform things like this for yourself).
In my case, I am always asking the gas station employee (in the case of stations with employees to refuel your car) not to overtight the cap. Also, I have heard that it is sometimes advisable not to full refill the gas tank.
The CEL will turn off after 3 to 6 cold starts without detecting anomalies. Of course, you can turn it off using things like OBD-II, if you have the connectors, software and know how to use it (it is not my case), or just visiting the dealer (pricy option).
Keep in mind that CEL also shows up associated with fuse and/or Mass Air Sensor problems, maybe you are already aware about this point...
Hope this can help
Regards, Zascandil

Sorry, I have forgotten to comment that some guys have reported that they have resetted the Check Engine Light disconnecting the battery for five minutes, and simply reconnecting it.
Regards,
Zascandil