Dexcool coolant warning

After learning that silicates (powdered quartz) in coolant kill Honda bike waterpumps, I have been running Dexcool in all my vehicles, not wanting to spend $30 for Hondaline pre-mix once a year. I didn't think too much about it when my VW diesel blew a headgasket last fall with less that .0015 In. warpage. I have been running Dexcool in my Goldwing for 3 years, and it blew a headgasket last month. I found less than .001 In. warpage and the gaskets where they were free-standing in coolant had all the material either gone or blistered up badly. A short Google turns out that lots of people have had similar problems. I changed the coolant in the other 6 vehicles.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Dexcool is a bad product. Even with dexcool, you have to change the coolant once in a while. The biggest problem with american coolant is the ph buffer... it is not really a buffer but more like alkaline rich coolant that let counteract acid.

You need to use MB coolant... it is the greatest of all coolant out there, It is a real buffered coolant that is pretty neutral and stay neutral until the buffer runs out... rather than the american coolant which is alkaline and then goes toward acid level.

Reply to
Tiger

Be careful in what you say, Valvoline's (an America company) products and many others a fully approved by MB for use in their cars.

According to Valvoline their G-05 has been used in MB factory fills since 1984.

paulgyro

I wasn't going to get into that can of worms, but MB's break in oil came from Ashland, Kentucky, as did a lot of other "house brand" oils. I believe that there is only one oil company there. Pretty much like oil, any coolants meeting the same specs *should* be identicle.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

You are talking about the Valvoline G-05... again, this is specific coolant that is made the same way as MB coolant... not generic green or orange coolant...

Reply to
Tiger

Ok maybe the Valvoline IS the MB coolant?

Reply to
paulgyro

It is possible Valvoline made them for MB in USA.

Reply to
Tiger

The MB branded coolant you buy from a MB dealer in the USA is made by Texaco.

Reply to
Karl

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The maker of the Dexcool I used.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Then again... Dexcool is GM specification.. not MB.

Reply to
Tiger