sloshing sound after coolant change

Hi,

I changed the coolant in my Renault Megane the other day. I ran the engine at 2000 RPM for 5 mins with the expansion tank cap off then ran it for about 30 with the cap on. During both periods it made a sloshing sound which appeared to come from the passenger side as the revs increases. The problem decreases after the engine has been running for a while and occurs only at progressively higher revs as the engine has been on for longer.

Having idled the engine the coolant level went down so I topped it up. I'm guessing the sound is that of air bubbles in the system.

It appears to have got a little better by the next day when I drove the car (topping off the coolant a little before driving). Is this a problem that is likely to get better with time or is there anything I need to do? (e.g. idle it for 20 mins with the expansion tank cap removed)?

Cheers,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Campbell

Not sure about the Megane, but quite a lot of Renaults have a bleed-screw fitted in one of the coolant hoses that needs to be opened during refilling the system. This caught me out on a Renault 5 many years ago - after fitting a new radiator it only took about half the expected amount of water to refill the cooling system because there was the mother of all airlocks in the feed to the heater/autochoke.

Reply to
PJML

Air trapped in the cooling system is generally a bad idea, especially on french cars- they tend to overheat given any excuse!

I would locate the heater pipes at the bulkhead or nearby and prepare one by loosening the clip and breaking the pipes hold on the stub, loosen the expansion cap and run the engine upto temperature. Jam the throttle at a fast idle, then wearing gloves carefully pull back the pipe and let some squirt out[1]- with luck you'll get some air out.

You may need to do the same else where on the system at a point near where you can hear the sloshing sounds.

[1] be very careful about not getting burnt, or trapped in rotating parts.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hi,

There is a bleed screw at the thermostat. I followed the instructions in the Haynes manual which told me to fill the system until coolant containing no bubbles emerged from the hole. I found that I quite quickly got a steady stream of coolant coming out of the hole so I plugged it up.

The engine doesn't appear to be over heating.

I'm a little confused about your technique for getting rid of a air lock: Wouldn't opening pipes up cause more air to get into the system? I had a bit of difficulty getting pipes on and off before (but that was the first time I've ever done it) so I'm a little wary of doing that with the engine running.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Campbell

It won't if its just got an air lock in, its just that the bit where the air is will overheat....

Is the top of the expansion tank higher than the rest of the cooling system? I know on the 405 you have to make a header bottle, from a coke bottle or something, to put in and then fill, making sure that the level is higher than the rest of the system.

Reply to
Dan405

The time honoured method on Renault 5/9/11/19/Clio etc is to fill the expansion bottle to near the top, open the bleed screws on the top hose and waterpump to carb base hose, then stick your mouth round the top of the expansion bottle and blow. When you spray water everywhere with no bubbles, shut the bleeds and stop blowing. Then run the engine for a couple of minutes, switch off and repeat.

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell

After having driven it a couple of times and topped up the coolant, the sloshing noise appears to have gone away. I'm taking this to mean that there are no more air pockets. I suppose I could open the bleed screw to check but I see no reason why this should be needed at this point.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Campbell