trunk wont open

Is there any way to open the trunk on a 1985 300cd. I bought the car used,and the igniton key doesnt work. I really dont want to take to dealer. I tryed to lift out back seat and go through the trunk. didnt
work. AND CAR WONT SHUT OFF> SHOULD I CHANGE THE GLOW PLUGS
Try using the square key to open it... turn to far right where you are in like 4 o'clock position... hold and push in... pick up trunk if didn't pop open.
Car won't shut off is very common if you have vacuum leak. so cheack all vacuum hoses and make sure they are connected.
I have an 84, and mine only opens if you turn it to the left. I put the key in, turn it about 110 to the left-counter clockwise until it stops. At thsi point it seems that i has no worked because nothing has happened. Then I press the button in. Still nothing. However, if you then try to pull up on the trim around the trunk lid, while holding the button in, it will lift up. I don't know if that is by design, or if there is a spring that would pop it open that has become weak, or what, but that is how mine works. Try pushing that button in and lifting.
To expand on what tiger said about the engine not shutting off. These cars run lots of things on vacuum including power locks and climate control. The engine uses a vacuum actuated diaphragm doohicky to push on a linkage attached to the injector pump that shuts off the flow of fuel. Your problem is either that that part has gone bad, or more likely that you don't have vacuum going to it from either a leak somewhere else, or because the vacuum line going to it has come off. search this list for info on troubleshooting that. There are two orangeish/brownish vacuum lines that go into the firweall. One attaches to the rest of the harness, the other to this part in question. get a vacuum tester and figure out what is going on.
Glow plugs only warm up the engine prior to and shortly after startup, and would have nothing to do with it refusing to shut off.
Good luck,
Bill
Yeah, I think you have a bad spring in the trunk... change it out and it will pop open again.
how do I change it
"Tiger" wrote
> Yeah, I think you have a bad spring in the trunk... change it > out and it > will pop open again.
It is a spring... open trunk all the way up and prop it up... Then the spring should be loose enough to slip out. Just take a look.
I wrote the question wrong! I cant insert the key into the ( trunk) key hole to turn the key, to open the trunk. should their be more than just the ign. key. I brougth the car used and rec. just one key
"Tiger" wrote
> It is a spring... open trunk all the way up and prop it up... > Then the > spring should be loose enough to slip out. Just take a look.
Are you sure you got the right key? The one with squarish handle. The ovalish handle won't go in the trunk lock.
I've been sacked by murphy. Actually not really-it's more like irony. After posting an answer for someone else not being able to open their trunk, I can't lock mine. I've tried turning the key to the vertical position while sliding it in and out a little. I put light pressure on it, then ease off, pull it out an imperceivable amount and try again for about every position. I've tried pushign the button in, then trying it, I've tried lots of cooky stuff with no success. Any suggestions? I'm assuming that the lock cylinder has thrown in the towel. Any wisdom on this?
Bill
Something has probably gone on the fritz in the tail end where the lock cylinder attaches to the vacuum mechanism. Could be reattaching, or something may be broken.
It comes apart rather easy, but if you don't want to do it yourself, a locksmith should be able to help.
--

Roger Shoaf

Get a used lock with key... and bring your original one (make sure you mark it!) to locksmith and he can transfer all the sliders so your new lock use same key.
I had that problem with an old Merc and I solved it by spraying WD40 into the key slot and waiting 15 mins. You need to stick a small pointed object into the corner of the slot to keep the cover open, before spraying in.
Good luck.
RF

author/report abuse

http://www.AutoBoardz.com/trunk-won-open-Mercedes-Benz-ftopict209878.html