How To Open A Stuck Corolla Trunk

The lock on my 94 Corolla trunk is not working. The key does not turn and it doesn't open. For the last 6 months, I've been using the
internal trunk release.
Now the trunk release stops working. Any idea of how to get the trunk open and replace the lock? Even if I take out the deck by the rear window, I don't think I can reach the lock from inside.
Thanks, Art

You sure you're not trying to use the 'valet key'?...it's not supposed to unlock your trunk, just work the ignition...got another key?, try it.
--

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
On this model, the ignition key opens the trunk too. When it was working I used the same key all the time for ignition and trunk. I think you are referring to a special valet key which I think operates the car but not the trunk or glove compartment.
Thanks, Art

If your car has the Valet Lock feature on the trunk, and you still have the "master key" you stick it in the trunk lock and turn (right, I think) to open the trunk. But if you turn it to the left it will go 90 degrees and click-stop, and allow you to remove the key. That might be where your lock is set (accidentally) now.
In the "valet lock" position, the 'valet key' will not work in the trunk lock to open it, and the inside release lever is also locked out. Now you can safely give the Valet parking attendant only the Valet Key - not on a ring with your house keys or any other keys. You keep the Master Key in your pocket.
This is to keep the stuff you have stored in the trunk safely away from the possibly sticky fingers of the valet.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:31:21 -0400, GWN wrote:

Fold down one of the rear seats (available) and take a screwdriver and slip the latch open.
I wish it were so easy. The Corolla is a sedan and the rear seats don't fold down.
Thanks, Art

Remove the seats then. Pull up the bottom part first then unbolt the top part. Do not curse the car while you are going through this, it gave you 6 months to fix the first problem.
--
Tercel GTS
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:05:30 -0400, Tercel GTS wrote:

BTW, where are the pix? I wanna see this Tercel GTS.
I have started looking for a Paseo to Hot Rod...
There are many auto repair or body shops throughout the USA that perhaps could help you, some of them are reputable, I bet you could find one. What are you waiting for? Devine intervention? If I worry about it long enough it will stop? There may even be a Toyota dealership that could figure it out in a heartbeat. The thing isn't working the way it's supposed to, get it fixed. Rip out the seats? Jesusgod, DIY is one thing, but it's a lock. Get it fixed.
You could drill out the trunk lock as a last ditch method. You would then have to replace it. Any car thieves or former car thieves have a better idea?
Not that it helps you now, but you did have six months to fix the problem right while the remote release was working. . . Like the commercial said, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later". Only later it is going to cost a lot more.
GWN wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:12:39 -0400, GWN wrote:

Rats. They ALL do now. Can you remove the rear seat? All you do is give it a firm tug and it will pop out. Pull from the bottom. >

Hachiroku wrote:

The seats in my 2003 Corolla fold down by pulling a release that is INSIDE the trunk:-((
Lou
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:49:00 -0400, Lou wrote:

Yeah, I have noticed they have begun doing that. The seat releases used to be on the tops of the seat backs.

hachiroku wrote:

Probably done for security.
Lou

How bout spraying lubricant in the key slot and waiting a few hours to try it with the key? Also, spray the trunk key with lubricant and just keep pushing it in and out of the keyslot to lubricate the lock mechanism. If not, I'd take it to the dealer to have them fix it but be prepared for some expense.