Updating A/C in 300E to 134a

My '89 300E of course has a leak in the evaporator, sniffer notices R12 coming out of vents, and there are probably some other leaks as well. I plan to convert to 134a. First I want to see how bad the evaporator leak is though.... if it's not 'too bad' I might simply be able to charge once a year or so before summer.... will see. What changes do I need to make before having the shop charge system with 134a. Is pumping out and using the appropriate oil enough? or do I need to change some o-rings etc as well? I know it won't work that well but, hey, here in Ontario a little cooling is often all that is needed. Has anyone done the conversion?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

R134a is smaller than R12 so the leak would be much faster. However... I'd rather put in some R134a with sealer to see if it work. Do this once you evacuate your system.

Reply to
Tiger

A simpler solution is to stay with the R12. I have used Super Seal Premium sold by Clip Light Mfg in my Sl320 that had a evaporator leak with excellent results. I put it in 2.5 years ago and the AC is still working perfectly. You do need to get all the moisture out of the system and replace the dryer and then recharge the system.

for more info. Peter

Reply to
Peter W. Peternouschek