300E in snow

How well does the w124 handle in snow? Is it manageable?

Reply to
Greg

without snow tires it is the absolute worst handling car in snow I've ever owned, with good snow tires it is almost passable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.0

It's rear wheel drive with a reasonable powerful engine so be nice to the throttle. Mine har the ASR option and its the _best_ "wintercar" i've ever owned. But be sure you know the basics in slippery weather driving. I wouldn't even think of using a car at winter here in sweden without good snowtires though. Besides its the law here .....

"127.0.0.0" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
MaH

BTW i've driven a lot of 124's in winter. And theyre all a lot of fun and easy predictable (with appropriate tires of course).

"MaH" skrev i meddelandet news:2%ygb.31929$ snipped-for-privacy@newsc.telia.net...

Reply to
MaH

I do not drive my 300 in the snow (ontario) after trying it one year. Our other car is a cavalier which is much, much better. I've been garaging my 300 and it has certainly greatly benefited from this since my '89 looks still in almost showroom condition. the question is, how will a

190 handle? about the same i expect.

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Any RWD car is totally impossible to drive unless you fit snow tyres. They are then quite fun. But don't imagine that you can get away with just a set of chains like you can on FWD cars....

Reply to
Ric

We had a '94 E320C a few years ago that we bought for a winter car to use instead of the 560SL. We put studded Hankook snow tires on it and never had any problems at all. Handled well, stopped well, accelerated well, never got stuck in deep snow. Just drive for the road conditions with appropriate tires and your MB will continue to impress! Just use your head.

We've used Cooper studded snow tires on our '96 S500C without problems. We just bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires for the '00 CL500. Haven't tried them in snow yet. Salesman told me studs were "ancient technology" compared to today's snow tire compounds. Several of my friends swear by Hakkepallita (?) snow tires. We do have serious winter conditions here in Alaska so we don't take our snow tires lightly. By the way, a couple of sandbags in the trunk for extra weight will make an incredible difference! I recommend tirerack.com for all your tire needs! I buy all my tires there and save at least $30.00 per tire, including the shipping! Happy motoring! Dale (not Camille)

88 560SL 96 S500C 00 CL500

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Camille

Nokian hakkapelitta is IMO among the better (snow)tirebrands. If "studded" means what i think it does, your salesman doesnt have a clue about snow/winter tires. (Its those small metal "spikes" in the tire right ?). Personally I use 185mm wide tires with a LOT of spikes, they sound terrible on tarmac but i really dont care when I get about the same grip on ice =). Remember that salt and heat (using snowtires on clean tarmac easily overheats them) ages the rubber so they'll get really hard after a couple of seasons.

"Camille" skrev i meddelandet news:1065557033.494503@prawn...

Reply to
MaH

I have owned many RWD cars and none has handled as poorly as my 124, I love the car but in the snow, it is the worst I've ever driven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.0

(Its those small metal "spikes" in the tire right ?).

Yep, that's them! I can't imag> Nokian hakkapelitta is IMO among the better (snow)tirebrands.

Reply to
Camille

Hello Here in Finland I have old MB 400 SEL and old Nokia studded tyres and it is fun to drive. Nokia has also good tyres without pikes, Bridgestone is not as good as Nokia. Test of wintertyres is made in Finland by Tekniikanmaailma-newspaper.

Ripa

Reply to
Ripa

one thing, NEVER try to stud a used tire!

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

I drove my 300E over 200k miles in the northeastern USA, including lots of winter driving with snow, sleet, freezing rain, and mix through New England, New York, and New Jersey. A fine car if equipped with four first class snow tires. Keep two sets of wheels, one with snows and a fancy set with high performance summer tires!

I enjoyed the ride much better than my current 97 Pontiac Gran Prix, although both get through anything that a sane person would attempt.

regards and good driving

Reply to
John McDonnell