1962 Pontiac star chief

I have a 1962 star chief and I am having an interesting issue with the driver side brake light and blinker. When I turn on the head light and then step on the brake the driver side brake/tail light goes out. Same if I have the head lights on and I use the drive side blinker. Anyone have any idea where I can start with this? I have a 1962 pontiac shop manual. It has the wiring diagram. TIA Steve

Reply to
steve.dewitt

I'm sure there are far better mechanics than I in this group and I'm sure they'll have some very good ideas. I had a '66 Catalina and now a '66 Star Chief. My Catalina had very similar problems and it turned out to be bad grounding. My problem would get better when I "wiggled" the light connections at the tail light. Mine tended to get some corrosion around them and made for a bad connection.

Also, check the grounding straps and connections.

Hope this helps and isn't a wild goose chase for you.

Scott

Reply to
ssc

yes after quite a few hours yesterday that is the conclusion that I am coming to. The wiring looks good in general. I had the same experience. Wiggle the light and things get better. I am going to continue looking in this direction until I see something that tells me otherwise. Thanks Steve

Reply to
steve.dewitt

I would wire brush the light sockets and clean all the ground connections. When I got my 73 T/A it had all kinds of little electrical gremlins with the lights. A good cleanup fixed everything.

Reply to
Dennis Smith