Space Star - engine warning light?

Hello Folks,

My 3 year old Mitsubishi Space Star engine warning light has come on. It was intermittent to start with (over about 2 weeks) - now its on permenantly. However the car drives faultlessly and I can't see any problem whatsoever! Any advice before I take to the dealer and they charge me £50.00 to say there is nothing wrong with it?

Regards,

Micky

Reply to
Micky Taker

I am pretty sure it is the oxygen sensor heating element ,Not to critical but it will cause the light to stay on. The only way to be really certain is to get the workshop to plug in a tester, should come up with PO135 ,If so then the Only solution is to change the sensor

Reply to
jonny

Don't know what a Space Star is but, it seems that I have had the same problem with my 02 Eclipse GT. After MANY trips to the dealer where I was told there is no problem other than the cold air ram system I had installed (BULLSHIT) and if I bring the car back for the same problem, I will be charged 50 bucks for each time, I now find out that there is a TSB issued for the problem and that the dealer has a new FLASH program for the ecm. The code I was getting was a P0300-P0306, random misfire. This TSB only applies to certain V6 engines with specific engine numbers. Hope that this helps you. Also, you may want to invest in a OBDII reader so you can avoid a hefty charge, read the code, decide if its important and erase it.

Kestrel

Reply to
kestrel1954

Many thanks for that advice. I'm not sure where the oxygen sensor is but as a precaution I checked all the connectors in the vicinity of the air intake/manifold. I unplugged the one at the top and plugged it back firmly. Guess what! When I started the engine, the light has gone out!

This problem started soon after my last service (now out of warranty) Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Regards,

Micky

Reply to
Micky Taker

Many thanks for the advice. See my reply above. Will have to invest in a Code Reader I think.

Regards,

Micky

Reply to
Micky Taker

The oxygen sensor is located on the Exhaust manifold ,Right at the front of the engine .It has 4 wires coming out and they go to a plug on the left (gearbox side). Take the battery pole off for 30 secunds and you will reset and remo0ve all fault codes on the egine ecu. Good luck

Reply to
jonny

replying to Micky Taker, Mark wrote: II also had this problem, Mitsubishi Space Star II (2002 - 2006) - 2002 1.6 Petrol, engine management fault. Disconnecting and connecting the battery cleared the fault light.

Reply to
Mark

replying to Micky Taker, Christine Livett wrote: The engine management light when on cuts the power down slightly it's often a plug lead or lambda sensor BUT A GOOD CHECK WE DO ON THE EARLIER MODELS IS TO OPEN THE FUSE BOX . TURN IGNITION OFF ! REMOVE FUSE WITH ENGINE MANAGEMENT PICTURE ON. TURN ON IGNITION NO LIGHT ! NOW PUT THE FUSE BACK IN ! UNDER THE BONNET YOU WILL HEAR IT CLICKING AS IT RESETS ON THE VARIOUS SENSORS IT ALSO OFTEN FLICKERS ON THE DASHBOARD LIGHT LEAVE FOR A MINUTE ! TURN OFF LEAVE FEW SECONDS ! START UP AND IT OFTEN WORKS CORRECT AGAIN !!! THE BEAUTY OF THIS IS YOU DONT RISK LOSING THE RADIO CODES BY DOING IT ON THE BATTERY !!! XX

Reply to
Christine Livett

replying to Mark, Christine Livett wrote: Far better way is previous reply and you wont lose the radio code .

1/ switch ignition off 2/ remove engine management fuse unit ( often 20A) in the fuse box ! The light on dash will be out 3/ put fuse unit back in after few seconds and switch on ignition 4/ you will hear a few clicks under the bonnet and light on dash will probably flicker as it resets on all the sensors 5/ After a minute turn ignition off wait few seconds then start car it is reset ! The problems we often come across that seem to cause the light coming on first place is plug lead problems / plugs and lambda sensor ! Always try RESET first ! Xx
Reply to
Christine Livett