What does 'R' stand for?

I've always wondered: the fuel gauge on my 900 reads from 'F' (presumably for 'FULL') to 'R', for '???'.

Can someone please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance, Steve = : ^ )

Reply to
Steve B.

Reserve. It'll quite happily run in the red region. btw. You don't have the computer that gives the estimated tank mileage I assume ?

Funnily enough lots of ppl puzzle over this.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes I do; kilometerage, actually. How much 'reserve' is there? i.e. how many litres remain when the needle gets to 'R', and does the computer 'know' that it's there?

Thanks, Steve = : ^ )

Reply to
Steve B.

This has been asked before. the 'R' is probably and old relic from the days when cars didn't have any fuel gauge. I remember and old VW Beetle where you had to turn a handle for the reserve tank. It allowed you to drive to the next filling station. That is unless you thought "It will never happen", as I once did...

Reply to
Johannes

As do many motorcycles, even to this day

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Yes, remember teh Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes a NG900 out for a test drive? It kept going forever...

Reply to
MH

My old Rover 2000TC ( P6 ) that I had in 1980 had a handle on the 'dash' ( by your knee actually ) that activated the reserve tank.

ISTR that Triumph Heralds also had reserve tank function that was vaguely unwieldy but presumably much liked when it came in useful.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Both the gauge and the trip computer take their reading from the tank sensor.

It's simply tradition ( and sensible practice ) to make the gauge 'under-read' in order to account for human nature.

The 'reserve' amounts to about 2 UK gallons or 9 litres IIRC for a 9000 when the warning light comes on which is usually just after the needle has entered the red sector.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear