Automatic Transmission problem on a 98 Impreza

The problem happens when I shift the car into drive, the car behaves as if its in neutral. I sit there and rev it a few times and away we go. The amount of times I have to rev it is getting longer now though, although it is quite random how longer it takes to shift into gear. Once its in drive it behaves fine.

I am guessing my transmission is dead, I've checked the fluid level and it is fine.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Brinner

If your transmission was dead, it wouldn't behave fine at all. Anyone know if these automatic transmissions have an oil filter somewhere? Could be plugged? I would suspect something like this or some kind of emission or sensor device causing the problem.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Hmmm, First thing to check is fluid level.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not quite.

When trying to back up, the tranny in my 95 Legacy L SW, sometimes would, sometimes it would not go. It got progressively worse until i decided to fix the problem. When I disassembled, I found that the oil pump cover, inside the tranny, on which the rear hub spins, was completely worn out (galled) to the point that the seals would sometimes work or not depending on the intergalactic alignments ;).

Shifting the selector to a different position may help because the lock up mechanism differs in a D-1st gear from a 1-1st gear.

Reply to
AS

Hi, Oops, sorry about that. Then time to open it up to prevent bigger trouble. How does the fluid look? Fresh pinky or dark browny/black?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I will check on that and get back to you...

Reply to
Brinner

Checked it out and the car runs away fine if I go past D and into 3, starts off the way it used to in D.

Anything I can do here?

Reply to
Brinner

Try putting the shift lever halfway between third and D. If the tranny shifts all the way to Drive you should get a shop manual and check your shift cable adjustment.

Steve

Reply to
Yagi Bear