Automatic transmission problem?

Hello all. I have a 1992 Subaru Legacy Station Wagon and it's been working pretty well up 'till now. It starts just fine and when I shift into drive the car runs fine. But when I go up a hill, the tachometer suddenly leaps up to 4 or 5 but the speedometer refuses to go above 25 MPH. Then, when I stop at a light and try to go, the car seems and acts like it's in neutral. I press down the accelerator and the engine revs but the car doesn't move. But when I turn the car off and start it up again I can accelerate up to 30 MPH for about 2 minuets, then the RPM leaps up to 4 or 5 and the speedometer drops back down to 25 MPH. The car ran fine yesterday but this afternoon, the first time I had driven it since yesterday, all these problems popped up. A few people I have talked to think that it's a problem with the transmission. Anyone else ever have this problem with your Subaru? Or does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks.

Reply to
Iris

I assume it is an auto since you mentioned "drive". Yes you have a transmission issue. First thing to do is get out your owners manual. Follow the directions to check the AT fluid level and condition.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I agree the problem may just be the transmission is low on ATF. If so you need to determine where the ATF was lost. Real good chance the ATF now in the transmission is "toast". All that slipping generates a lot of heat and "kills" the ATF. If the ATF is a dark color and has a burnt smell replace it.

Reply to
johninKY