2004 Explorer - no communication to any computer/module

Hi guys,

I have this 04 Explorer in the shop, that got struck by lightning. Now the machine does not start. When I hook up my scanner (Snap On Mt

5100), there is no communication to any computer or module (PCM, ABS, Instrument Cluster, Airbag, etc...) possible. I checked all wires that relate to CAN, ISO and UBP communication. Everything checks out just fine. Even if I try to connoct to one module only (all others are disconnected), I can't access a single one. The next step in the diagnostic schedule (we are using Alldata) recommended replacing the PCM (ECU), which did not help. Now I will have to try with a new Instrument Cluster, it should arrive in a few days, but I don't think it will work out.

Now, one thing keeps getting my attention. That is the blinking light for the anti theft system (PATS). The system does not allow the engine to start. Can a not working PATS shut down all communication to the other systems??? I doubt it, but maybe one of you Ford technicians can teach me wrong...?

I would be happy for any advise, I'm running out of ideas here...

Thanks,

-Kai-

Reply to
kai.pfannenstiel

Does it crank? Did you check all the fuses? Is there some way to bypass the anti theft system? Examine all the wiring. If lightning is following the wiring then it might blow through the insulation to ground and cause an open at that point. The wiring could appear damaged in a spot like that. Maybe checking for voltage at different points would help isolate a problem. Of course the modules could be damaged also.

Reply to
boxing

Wow, a totally fried system or 'you' have a dead computer in your scanner....

Forget the alarm, if the components won't individually test, they are cooked. Was the vehicle insured?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos: http:// snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:> Hi guys,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

============ ============

Have you checked that the ALDL is getting a Bat + and a Neg feed??

would be my first step.......AFTER checking fuses on a no communication.

IF......you're not getting the positive or ground signal at the ALDL.........NOTHING will comunicate. I've seen it many times.

anywhooooooo........ need to ck that first.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Sorry for my late follow up. It turned out that my scanner can not communicate with this vehicle, I don't know why. Two days looking for something that doesn't exist... damned! The Ford dealer programmed the new (used) PCM and the truck started. The ABS and traction light didn't turn off, so we changed the ABS module as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I had tried pretty much all before. However, I could finally convince my boss to take a couple thousand bucks in his hand and buy a new scanner. I was worth all the trouble ;)

-Kai-

Reply to
kai.pfannenstiel

Because the 2004 Explorer uses the CAN protocol, and you are trying to communicate with it using a Snap-On MT5100 (a tool which doesn't even exist)

Much like that scan tool.

A few thousand would be minimum asking price for a new, modern, and capable scanner.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Reply to
philthy

It seems that you are asking me a rhetorical question about your scanner; one which you already know the answer. Help me out then, and let me know what 'your scanner' is along with which vehicle the "it" refers to. Also, what exactly is a 'can key' in this instance?

In the mean time, note that the OP expressed communication concerns with the PCM and ABS modules (both 100% CAN), the IPC (uses CAN for scanner communication), and the RCM (not CAN, but perhaps his outdated and non-existent Snap On MT5100 wasn't capable of airbag comm anyway, or it could have been a typo, or it could have been operator error, etc...) Likely a PDS or IDS did the trick at the Ford dealer.

What the OP did wrong was to use substandard tooling to repair an issue where existent and accurate info would have led him in the correct direction (i.e. the capability to communicate with and correctly program the replacement PCM). I have no doubt that he could have performed the repair accurately and efficiently with correct tooling.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Reply to
philthy

Thank you. Here's a quote from my last post: "...and the RCM (not CAN, but perhaps his outdated and non-existent Snap On MT5100 wasn't capable of airbag comm anyway, or it could have been a typo, or it could have been operator error, etc..." RCM = Restraint Control Module = airbag system which uses ISO 9141 line, commonly accessible on most if not all scanners.

So... your BDM Pro really didn't communicate on the CAN bus of a 2004 Explorer without the CAN key, correct?

Toyota MDT in MO, (forced hybrid bottom poster)

Reply to
Comboverfish

uses

=============== ==============

buy a MODIS...............

and that's all i gotta say bout that.

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

ch uses

Thanks Marshy, but I don't need a Modis, though I'd happily take one if'n they're bein' handed out :-)

Toyota MDT in MO (ahhh, back to standard bottom posting!)

Reply to
Comboverfish

Nicely done!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
philthy

Comboverfish did a superb job of explaining why that is. How is it you still don't get it?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

BDM Amateur.

Toyota MDT in MO