2007 Explorer Keyless Entry Codes No sticker on computer module

Is there a method to get the codes without the label on the computer module?

Just bought the Explorer and have no codes for the keyless entry. I can find no sticker on the computer module.

Is there a way to get the code other than being extorted by the Ford Dealer?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
rllipham

Art McClinton

Ummmmm... no. The dealer will connect a very expensive scan tool to the diagnostic port and read the information directly from the module.

For the original poster... "extorted"? Whatever floats your boat, I guess... One IDS scan tool (in our case a Panasonic ToughBook, the VCM and necessary cables) runs about $8000 CAD... this doesn't include the $420 CAD per year subscription fee nor does it address the fact that the USB cable is fragile and requires replacement a couple of times per year (for a measly $200 CAD). We have a menu price for connecting this device in order to recoup some of our costs over the life of the device as well as pay for the techs time.

Why is it... the plumber hands you a bill and you are glad the crapper goes "Whoosh"... The doctor hands you a bill and you are glad you can go "Whoosh"... The electrician hands you a bill and you are glad you have something to do watch while you are waiting to go "Whoosh".... Dealerships, however "extort" money from people....

I suppose that everything is subjective... One Canadian tech that was interested in emigrating to the US was advised that a job opening had to be available for at least three years before the employer could sponsor him... Apparently, we are "unskilled" labour much like fruit pickers and such... If this is so, I can only suggest that the next time anyone that feels this way, hire a fruit picker to repair his car...

Reply to
Jim Warman

As someone who was going the other way just to work with a CA firm so they could sell a software package in CA, I got to spend 2 hours convincing the border folks that I was NOT taking away a job from a Canadian.

Cuts both ways.

Reply to
DLR

At the risk of appearing flammatory, you must be a white, middle aged, heterosexual man... I am finding that, to the Liberals, we are the scum of the earth... we are, single-handedly and without a doubt, the cause for all of societys ills. There is no creature as vile as the creatures that built both of our countries.

The sins of the father will be visited upon the sons...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Don't feel that your Canadian tech is considered to be "Unskilled" and that is why he had to wait 3 years to fill an unfilled job. My friend has several degrees and also had to wait three years while the company advertised the job he wanted with his salary listed in the ad. After 3 years of no one applying, he was hired.

Tom

Reply to
Tom from WI

I feel your pain. My idea of extrotion is $125 for the service. I shopped other dealers in the area and found one that will do it for $40. That is reasonable, that is not extortion. I have an appointment later in the week

Reply to
rllipham

A couple of ways to look at this.. FWIW, we would be $119.95 plus Gouge and Screw Tax or the effort....

We have some very talented people... these people know they are talented... We want to keep them here...

Your keypad code is important to you... but one first needs to consider... did you buy the car from any local dealer? If you had, the salesweasel could grease down a tech to find the code during his coffee break... If you didn't, you now want to take someone away from earning money (I hope you have some idea regarding the flat rate pay system) to do something for virtually free... for a stranger.. a stranger that may never return again... (and probably wont now). While your keypad code is important to you, it may be piffling compared to those things the shop NEEDS to complete in a hectic day.

The shop that will do it for $40... Ahhh, yes, I see these shops all the time... eventually, one of these shops will have all of your money and your car will still run like a bag of shit.... But... we know for sure that I am an asshole because I wont trust anything the $40 shop did and insist on checking it myself.. sadly, this is why some shops charge $40 and some charge more....

point of interest... we appear to be having more and more work sublet from independants that wont admit to their customer that they are incapable of resolving their concern(s). Instead. they risk having a customer see one of our techs road testing their car searching for the magic bullet that will have the $40 shop look good...

I'm an ass ... no apologies offered.... Many shops promise the world and can't deliver.... I charge a little more....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well this is another Ford dealer. I don't understand why one dealer will charge $125 for the service and one across town would be willing to do it for $40.

Maybe I will never use the dealer again. However, the next time I look for a vehicle I remember who was the reasonable dealer for service and will probably go there.

I shopped both dealers before I went to a non-Ford dealer to purchase. Neither had what I wanted. The service writer for the $40 FORD dealer even told me that the service is a 30 minute and they could do it during lunch if I like.

I would go there again. A fair price for a service. I admire the service writer that would not run up the service or a shop that does not do the same.

BTW, I did tell both service writers that I purchased the vehicle from another place. I asked for no special "during lunch" pricing or greasing any one. This was the off the street pricing. There was no lowballing. Guess which dealer will get my service work.

The keypad is important to me. I shopped for the service. If I could have done it myself I would have. Since I can not I will take it to the most reasonable place I can that will do quality work. I would be a fool to do otherwise.

Its not like I was stealing the codes or trying to beat the system.

I really did not mean to get your panties in a wad. I have no problem paying a fair price for a service. $80/hr is a reasonable rate. $250/hr is extortion. If they did not want to do it then they should have said so.

Reply to
rllipham

Sheesh, took you long enough. I figured that out in college. This was during the first Persian Gulf conflict and the only saving grace was one feminist professor who spent half of the semester convincing the men/soldier haters that men while annoying were not disposable.

Reply to
S/B 954RR

You'll have to go a long way to get my "panties in a wad".... I'm simply trying to explain the fiscal realities of the trade....Many feel that owning an auto repair shop is a licence to print money.... I can assure you that it is not...

It may have missed the mark... but the opinion is that someone may perceive a shop a "good" because of low stated charges, low door rates or low bid quotes... and then the "add-ons" start coming.

Every shop has similar overheads... every shop is dealing with a broken car... After all, it is the car deciding what needs to be done - not the tech.... I use my experience to decide when I can re-use parts or refuse to re-use parts that can come back to haunt me. Everyone insists on a cheap repair... yet everyone insists on a dpendable repair... and we use bid price to decide.

Without the luxury of wasting your money on complete discovery ( disassembling something to decide everything that nees to go, reassmbling to return the vehice if you decide to move on), I will resort to experience to tell me what I will "most probably" need to do... Your repair may come in for less than the bid.. but there shouldn't be anything less than pleasant surprises... As in no "well we found...." phone calls.

Bottom line... there are a lot of shops that can quote high and fall short of expectations.... I don't know of any shops that can quote low and remain in business....

Don't go to McDonalds looking for a ribeye done to your exact wishes...

FWIW... I have a good idea of what I am worth.... Nearly 40 years of doing something can have that effect on you. You can choose me or you can avoid me.... My integrity speaks for itself....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well put Jim.

Reply to