Buick 1990 electra problems

Having problems with my 1990 Buick electra. Runs fine except that if I try to push down the gas pedal just enough to accelerate with normal traffic, it sounds like a 4-barrel carberator kicked in. Of course it doesn't have a carberator, but that's the way it acts.

Car idles fine. Sounds fine if I rev up engine. Sounds fine at normal (slow) acceleration. But kicks into this agressive mode (almost like I floor-boarded it) if I press the gas a bit more to keep up with normal traffic acceleration or to keep from slowing down when going up a hill. Then when I ease back on the gas I think I hear the sound of a relay or solenoid.

I've changed plugs and wires. Can't find any air leaks. Checked TPS and it seems ok. Tapped the MAF sensor and nothing happened, also the wires there look ok. Have used injector cleaner too. Don't get any SES lights.

Thanks for any advice on what to look for.

Reply to
<rluwood

Sounds like the automatic transmission is downshifting!

Reply to
Mike

How many miles. The last car I had do that wound up being a plugged catalytic converter.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Schoell

From your comments it sounds like your vehicle engine is under a load when your problem shows up. A couple of things come to mind you might try. I don't believe they affect the safe operation of the car.

  1. Remove the fuse or circuit breaker(s) that allows the cruise control to operate if equipped. Road test for affect.

  1. Remove the TCC connector to automatic transmission and store safely. Road test for affect.

Reply to
Jim

Ran in low gear & did same thing.

Does this in all gears, all speeds.

Reply to
rluwood

It has around 125K miles.

Is there a way to check catalytic converter?

Reply to
rluwood

I see the problem even when the car is in low gear. Happens all gears, all speeds. But I can try this one. Thanks.

Reply to
rluwood

I'd take a look at the throttle body springs. Have someone press the gas down with the engine off and inspect the movement of the cable, springs and linkages. make sure the cable is seated in the pulley..

Reply to
TOLYN9
1.) Buy a pressure gauge and see how much back pressure you have.

2.) Disconnect the exhaust from the engine, and see how the engine runs.

3.) Rap on the converter with your hand and see if you hear any piece bouncing around. If you do, I would also recommend replacing the muffler since those pieces could have plugged the muffler also.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Schoell

Not sure from rereading your original post but as well as the increased sound, does the car accelerate more aggresively, normally or poorly?

Reply to
Mike

It goes from slow acceleration to rapid acceleration more abruptly than it should.

The shift from slow acceleration to rapid acceleration happens with a very small change in gas pedal position.

Reply to
rluwood