Ceased wheel bearing

I am in the middle of trying to replace the front brakes on my '97 GMC Safari. I got the passenger side apart very easily and replaced all the parts. As for the driver's side I've taken everything apart up to the outside wheel bearing which is stuck to the spindle. I have tried a number of different things to get it off including; beating the back of the hub/rotor with a sledge for an extended amount of time, using a bearing puller I rented from a local auto store which didn't work because there is no way to get the puller arms onto the bearing itself, heating the bearing with a torch and hitting it with a cold chisel. No luck so far. If anyone might have a useful suggestion for getting this stubborn bearing off it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

Reply to
joelemerick

Beating the back may tilt the assembly and it jam it onto the spindle. See if the auto parts can rent you an axle puller with a slide that will fit over the part that sticks out. It will more evenly apply force.

Reply to
Paul

I once had a trailer stuck on the side of the road in British Columbia with a toasted bearing welded to the spindle. I was able to borrow a carbide cutting bit from an outboard repair place and use in my drill to cut the bearing so I could beat it with a BFH and cold chisel to break it loose.

A cutting wheel might work even better.

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat

Thanks for the advice. I got it off today finally with an angle grinder and a carbide wheel. It took a little grinding and smoothing on the spindle as well to get the new bearing to fit. Damn it feels good to be done with it.

Joel

Reply to
joelemerick

If there was any heat discoloration on the spindle, I'd consider replacing it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel