Re: GM pushing for HYDROGEN in China

GM Wants China to Help Promote New Car

> > November 18, 2003 01:01 PM EST > > BEIJING - General Motors Corp. is trying to enlist the Chinese > government in promoting cars that run on hydrogen fuel cells instead > of gasoline, in hopes the nation's potentially huge market might > generate enough sales to make the new technology profitable.

It's a waste. Perhaps the Chinese intend to produce hydrogen from hydroelectricity, but it remains very awkward to distribute, dispense and store.

Fuel cells may have a future in cars, but only in closed-cycle form as battery replacements in hybrids.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

In news: snipped-for-privacy@thank-you.com, Richard Schumacher being of bellicose mind posted:

You're more than a bit behind the curve.

Philip®

non-sequitor and opinion,

Much more likely to be coal gassification, hopefully with mineral sequestration of the CO2.

It has a reasonable storage and range, not all that awkward, and many developments are expected in that field. It also should be pointed out that the Chinese don't have the 'traditions of waste' that drive opposition to lightweight or short range vehicles.

So you pontificate. As an opinion it is worth what we paid for it.

Reply to
Ian St. John

"Ian St. John" wrote

Good point.

producer gas

mixture of flammable gases (principally carbon monoxide and hydrogen) and nonflammable gases (mainly nitrogen and carbon dioxide) made by the partial combustion of carbonaceous substances, usually coal, in an atmosphere of air and steam. Producer gas has lower heating value than other gaseous fuels, but it can be manufactured with relatively simple equipment; . /// See also:

This is an interesting process because it can even be done 'in situ' (no mining) or use biomass. The reaction C + H2O(g) -> H2 + CO is endothermic so air is required to maintain combustion. Additional heat is required to generate superheated steam. A cryogenic plant would be required to separate the various product gases in order to obtain pure H2 for urban auto use. The only safe way to dispose of the large quantities of CO would be to burn it and to recapture the heat generated.

CO2 is of value to oil producers. It could be injected into old oil wells for enhanced oil production. CO2 can also be used in greenhouses to accelerate plant growth.

Reply to
Dr. Convection

Oh, I suspect a biological based process will be available within a decade.

Reply to
Vendicar Decarian

As a consumer, my own opinion is that I have no interest in hydrogen powered cars and will never purchase one.

Reply to
Roger Blake

After over a 14 month absence from sci.environment (and all of usenet, for that matter), Scott Nudds has apparently returned.

The poster who is going by the nom d'Usenet "Vendicar Decarian" is, in fact, Scott Nudds. The IP address used by "Vendicar Decarian" is 24.150.149.131. The last known e-mails posted by Scott Nudds were under his e-mail address "S snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" and pseudonym "Scott Douglas". The IP address of S snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com was 24.150.149.131. Both were using Cogeco.ca accounts.

Conclusion: "Vendicar Decarian" is really Scott Nudds.

Proof follows:

Headers of Recent Post by "Vendicar Decarian":

From: "Vendicar Decarian" Newsgroups: alt.politics.greens,alt.politics,sci.environment,talk.environment,alt.global-warming References: Subject: Re: Latest Arctic Sea Ice and Snow Cover Lines: 25 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106 Message-ID: Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:42:52 -0500 NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.150.149.131 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@cogeco.ca X-Trace: read2.cgocable.net 1069659435 24.150.149.131 (Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:37:15 EST) NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:37:15 EST Organization: Cogeco Cable

---end quoted material---

Headers of post by Scott Nudds, posting as Scott Douglas (s snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com):

Newsgroups: sci.environment,alt.global-warming Subject: Re: Feedback Factors (Clouds) -- Summary From: Scott Douglas References:

---end quoted material---

- Andrew Langer

Any posts by Andrew Langer are his own, written by him, for his own enjoyment (and the education of others). Unless expressly stated, they represent his own views, and not those of any other individuals or entities. He is not, nor has he ever been, paid to post here.

Reply to
Andrew Lange

Good for you. Bicycles are much healthier. It will be interesting to see what your opinon is after the decline in cheap oil forces most everyone else over to hydrogen powered cars.

Reply to
Ian St. John

Snicker. What makes you think the Energy Industry will give you a choice?

What's your choice now?

Snicker....

Reply to
Vendicar Decarian

Gasoline, diesel, propane, hybrid, natural gas, solar, or build your own. Stanley Steamers were very popular until oil became plentiful. Your choices are not limited by "the Energy Industry."

MTV

Reply to
MTV

Depending on your age, you may have to or walk.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

All controlled by the energy industry.

Both controlled by the same industry.

Solar powered automobiles are not a prctical possibility, and neither is the average consumer building their own.

Yet your very denial proves it is.

Thank you for illustrating your intellectual failure.

Reply to
Vendicar Decarian

You must be very young and stoopid -- another data point proving that children should be seen and not heard.

Reply to
Roger Blake

I rather doubt it.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Well... all the food you eat is controlled by the FOOD (meat, dairy, agri-business, etc) industry.....

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@unix2.netaxs.com, Roger Blake being of bellicose mind posted:

Roger... in a text medium.... everyone is seen ... and not heard. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

So it is Nuddly. So Nuddly, when are you going to name the plastics you stated are suitable for a mass produced ICE powered automotive exhaust system?

Reply to
Brent P

Good observation.

Reply to
Vendicar Decarian

Vendicar Decarian

In news:vsKwb.1501$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net, Vendicar Decarian being of bellicose mind posted:

Busywork. Name the cost effective plastic that can be economically formed into a conventional exhaust manifold shape .... one that will withstand many many thermal cycles to 1200 degrees.

Reply to
Philip®