Burned Oil Smell

I have a 2000 Camry, 4 cyl., 126,000 miles.

Whenever the car is idling (i.e. not moving) and the fan is blowing (drawing air from outside, not recirculating), I can smell burned oil in the passenger's compartment. When the car is moving, the smell goes away.

The car shows no evidence of an oil leak. That is, it doesn't leak oil onto the floor of my garage.

Any ideas? I've read PCV gasket leaking, oil cap gasket leaking, valve cover leaking or bolts are loose, oil pan bolts loose, etc.

Reply to
Georgie#2

I meant to say - 1999 Camry, not 2000

Reply to
Georgie#2

An exuast leak, a plastic bag melted on the exuast, a transission leak, get it looked at.

Reply to
m Ransley

if you recently did an oil change the oil from the filter drains down onto the exhaust if you dont let the oil from the pan drain completely before removing the filter. If you smell burning oil, its leaking or on something thats getting hot. Take it to a mechanic if this didnt help.

Reply to
justinm930

try checking the spark plug boots

if you have a spark arcing to ground inside the spark plug tube, you'll get a burning smell but won't see anything on the surface

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks for the help.

I have had an oil change recently, but it smelled prior to the oil change. I did notice what appears to be an old oil spill/stain araound the oil filter.

I'd hate to take it to a mechanic unless I've tried to repair it myself first.

Can you power wash the engine (never really done this before)? If so, how or where could I get it cleaned?

Reply to
Georgie#2

Thanks for the reply.

It really doesn't smell like exhaust. It smells burned oil or lubricant. I checked around and could not find anything on the exhaust.

The transmission fluid level is also fine. As a matter of fact, I just changed the transmission fluid today. Though discolored (dirty), it didn't have a burned smell, which I've read can occur if you don't change it regularly.

Reply to
Georgie#2

power washing a old engine will uncover existing leaks that were otherwise hidden up until the cleaning. Check your oil every 500 miles. If you have to add, and still smell a burning oil smell, I would think you have a moderate oil leak.

My 91 camry used to eat and leak oil like there was no tomorrow. I use maxlife 10w30 along with lucas engine treatment and now the leak and burning are so insignifficant, I sometimes forget they're there.

So next oil change, use max life 10w30 and a full bottle of lucas. Also, use only toyota oil filters - they truley are the best filters for your camry.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
justinm930

If it's an oil-leak, its possible its getting onto the exhaust,..that's the mostlikely culprit. If yoy jack up the front of the car, place 2 stands under it at the jacking points (for safety), chock the rear wheels,..then have a *good* look for any oil-residue on the exhaust as it loops under the engine and goes rearward past the transmission,..you should see the problem. You may start the engine and look for any telltail smoke coming from underneath the heat shielding around the exhaust.

Smells eminating from cars can be deceptive. A piece of road-rubbish ie plastic stuck on the exhaust can smell for months as it slowly burns/melts off. Then you have engine smells getting into the cabin via leaky firewall wiring grommets,..also things like brake-piston dustboots touching the disks and burning, especially on heavy braking will do it as an outsider cause.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James