flat tire light

On a 2009 taco the low tire light came on. I would like to know exactly how that light works. Is there something in the tire that makes the light come on? What about when you change tires? Somebody please help!!!

Reply to
Herb Eneva

The valve stem is connected to a sensor inside each the wheel. The four sensors communicate wirelessly to a computer inside the truck.

Because the sensor is mounted to the wheel, it stays on the wheel if you change tires. If you change to a different set of wheels (say, steel wheels in the winter), the truck won't be able to detect the sensors and will keep the light on constantly.

Reply to
First of One

my 08 spare has a sensor as well. so i have 5, check the spare.

Reply to
Charles H.
2009+ Tacos no longer have the TPMS sensor in the spare.
Reply to
First of One

Interisting. I have a 2007 Tacoma I bought new and the light has came on for the spare three times. Bad thing is that the valve is mounted toward the bed so I have to lower the spare just to put air in it. If it wasn't for that, I probably would check it more often.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You should crank it down often, so to make sure it works.

Nothing worse than getting a flat and the spare tire holder is rusted shut.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

FIRST thanks for the heads up, didnt know that.

Reply to
Charles H.

i crank mine down about every 4 months and spray it with a silicone spray PLUS i turned my spare tire so i can rech the stem.

Reply to
Charles H.

A light for flat tires?! Good bloody gods.

Reply to
Desertphile