tire pressure warning light

On my 2008 Camry the tire pressure warning light comes on and blinks while driving. I checked the tires including the spare. I started the car, held the reset button while it blinked three times. Let the car idle for a minute and the light started blinking again.

I've seen on several forums to either reset the light and let the car idle for 6 minutes, another said to reset it and then drive for 20 minutes. Does anyone know how the system reset actually works?

Thanks,

When you check the tires, did you check visually or with a tire pressure gauge?

Doesn't the owner's manual have instructions on resetting the light?

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, I used a gauge. Yes, the owner's manual has the idiot's instructions - press and hold the button, then wait until the system resets. Not exactly informative.

Does anyone actually know how this system works? No guessing please.

There are 2 types of tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS), indirect and direct. In an indirect system, the vehicle's ABS sensors monintor tire rotation speed and will illuminate the warning light if the system detects a difference in speed. Your Camry has a direct system,

The tire pressure warning light should go out if all of the tires are inflated properly. In a direct TPMS, each tire, including the spare, has a pressure switch and transmitter built into the valve stem. If tire pressure is low, it sends a signal to the tire pressure warning electronic control unit mounted behind the glove box, which in turn illuminates a light in the combination meter assembly (instrument panel). After all of the tires, including the spare, (keep in mind that temporary spares usually have a higher inflation pressure than regular tires) are inflated properly, pressing the reset switch in the glove box should tell the tire pressure warning ECU what the proper pressure is, so that if the pressure drops too low, it will illminate the warning light. This link has a schematic which shows were the components are, as well as questions from someone with the same question as yours and the answers he received:

As steady light indicates low tire pressure. A blinking light indicates a problem with the system. If all of your tires are properly inflated and the light does not go out, or if the light is blinking, a trip to the dealer may be in order. A special tool is needed to diagnose the system and register replacement TPMS sensors.

Reply to
Ray O