Beware! Car Sale Money Scam!

I posted an add advertizing my Red Volvo 850 for sale, asking price $1600 last month and was approached by a Nigerian Con Artist!

This person sent me a bogus check for $3500 dollars. It looked like a payroll check from a Helicopter Company, (Bell Helicopter Textron).

The person was very anxious to have me send the balance of the money ($1900) after depositing the check to:"

INFO WHERE BALANCE SHOULD BE REMIT TO VIA WESTERN UNION

> > > MONEY TRANSFER ... > > > > > > > > NAME- DANIELLE SPENCER. > > > > ADRESS- 200 PARKVIEW LANE. > > > > CITY- IKEJA. > > > > STATE- LAGOS. > > > > COUNTRY- NIGERIA > > > > ZIP CODE.23401 > > > > > > > > SO AFTER YOU HAVE SENT THE MONEY YOU WILL BE GIVEN A 10 DIGITS > > > > MTCN(MONEY TRANSFER CONTROL NUMBER) AND ALSO SEND THE QUESTION > > > > AND ANSWER TEST WHICH YOU WILL BE ASK BY WESTERN UNION....DONT > > > > FORGET TO GET EMAIL ME THE SENDERS INFO i.e YOUR INFO AND ACTUAL > > > > AMOUNT SENT,AFTER YOU DEDUCT SUM OF $1600 AND PAYING NECESSARY > > > > WESTERN UNION FEE. > > > > MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.. > > > > SHIPPING AGENT WILL CONTACT YOU ON HOW SHIPPING ARRANGEMENT > > > > WILL BE MADE... > > > > > > > > HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON > > > > HAVE A GOOD DAY > > > > > > > > NOTE:YOU CAN HAVE THE MONEY SENT DIRECTLY VIA WESTERN UNION...AND NOT > > > > CHECK...SO KINDLY SEND DOWN THE MONEY DIRECTLY AND GET BACK WITH THE > > > > NECESSARY INFO GIVEN TO YOU BY WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER...."

I deposited the check on a Thursday afternoon, and waited until Tuesday to check my bank balance, which by that time had big minus next to the $3500.

After the check bounced the bank charged me $10.

This was my first time being approached by a con artist on line, so I thought I would share the experience.

Bob.

Reply to
dreevay

That's a very common scam, just the fact that it comes from Nigeria should be a huge red flag, honestly I'm not sure how any sensible person could fall for it, thankfully you only lost 10 bucks.

Reply to
James Sweet

You couldn't smell that one 100 miles away???

I get those on a daily basis for stuff I'm selling, it's hilarious.

I posted an ENGINE and I get emails just like that except:

I want to buy your auto, please tell me the year make model... yeah, ok, right...

;)

sorry you got scammed.

Reply to
M.R.S.

Usually it is a counterfeit cashier's check:

Michael Pardee

Reply to
Marvin

It doesn't have to be Nigeria...I listed my car in a local sales rag...THEY put the listing on the web. I got a call from a guy in Canada. He said British Columbia...I did a reverse directory look up of the number he called from...it said he was from Alberta...then he sent the bogus cashier's check and the return address was Ontario. The check was supposedly issued from the First Credit Union of Tempe Arizona...the 800- phone number on the check dialed in to an answering service that said "First Credit Union of Tempe"...but there was no operator. I took the check to my local bank and we called the FCU of Tempe's business office. The first thing they asked, "Is the name on the check Tracy Martins?"...I called up the guy who tried to scam me and told him to get a garbage bag...take a walk and pick up trash and leave the world behind him a better place...he was a little stunned that I didn't swear or bemoan his wicked ways.

Reply to
ChampaignTurbo

Personally, I would ahve called the local cop shop (city police or RCMP) and handed the whole thing over to them. MOre than enough stuff by this guy to be spending years in various jails on both sides of teh border....

Reply to
byrocat

The RCMP run a scam line for Nigerian advance payment scams snipped-for-privacy@phonebusters.com

Non Nigerian types of scams should use snipped-for-privacy@phonebusters.com.

I get 4 or 5 a year and send them on as a matter of course. I tried the FBI but went down a deep rat hole really fast. If they can fnd someone who wll listen the RCMP will let the FBI in on things.

Gunner