1994 Jetta Overheating

I keep having overheating issues in my 94 Jetta 2.0 litre USA market automatic.

It heats up normally, but keeps going until it the gauge is pegged.

The fans don't engage. I replaced the thermoswitch twice with OEM Behr units.

if I shove a paperclip into the plug, I can get the fans running on a speed, perhaps high speed or low. I cannot get the "other" speed to engage. There are three contacts, so only if I bridge two of them will it run, if I do any other two combination I get nothing. Unless "high" speed is all three jumpered, haven't tried that.

If I drive the car around 50 mi/h or 80km/h indicated in 3rd gear of the autobox it usually won't overheat. But go less and heats up quick.

If I jumper the fans to low speed when I first start the car cold, and drive around, it usually will overheat as well, just I can drive much further before that happens. It hasn't gone significantly beyond 1/2 way point just because I don't want to risk that.

The car also appears to have a slight leakage of water, but can't pinpoint it.

Once after driving, the coolant temp slightly higher than normal, I had a weird milky substance visible on the dipstick. My heart sank as I thought headgasket. But the oil looks nice and squeaky clean when it is cold, just after I drove it that one time it looked weird...

Reply to
smaartaassaabr

Did the coolant get changed just before this started happening? If so, perhaps burping the system will help. I typically do this by squeezing the upper hose and the hose leading back to the reservoir to get that much air out. Then I run it for about 5 minutes, sitting still. Shut it down and let it cool a little. The coolant ball should have a MUCH lower level in it. Fill with more mixed coolant (you should have lots left before this point if you bought the spec'd amount). Run it again, maybe a short errand (15min runtime or so). Fill 'er up again. After a coolant change I typically carry a jug of premixed coolant in the trunk, just for makeup. It takes awhile to purge it all.

BTW, that first time, it won't register on the temp gage, and the fan won't come on. Don't wait for it, just warm it a bit and shut it down.

It looks kinda like the coolant leak you mentioned below, but just until you get it all filled up.

I'll look this up after we get the preliminaries out of the way ;)

A common point is the goose neck on the driver's side of the head. It cracks at the seal to the head. Replace it if necessary.

Another perhaps not common point is the oil cooler. It's a block just above the oil filter. It's basically a spot for the oil to come in contact with the coolant for cooling. Sometimes it springs a leak and you get oil & water trying to mix. That might explain...

If it's sat for awhile, or hasn't been well warmed for quite some time, sometimes that happens.

Do both fans spin when the one is on? The other is connected to the motor driven one with a belt.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I had the same problem with my 94 Jetta. Turns out that the fan assembly had rusted so badly that the plug on the fan itself that it could not get the "message" from the sending unit to turn on.

Just a thought but it happened to me. so just check the connection.

Reply to
Dave

Have you checked the _lower_ pipe to the cooler (radiator matrix)? Does it gets hot when you car starts overheating? Does the cooler itself gets hot?

Reply to
draugaz