50 wt oil?

Is it ok to run 50 wt oil this summer in a well worn, high mileage 16v?

tia!

Lou

-- 89 Jetta GLI Wolf 225,000 miles on it! (plus or Minus a few)

Reply to
DFRee

If you need it and if you are trying to get a few more miles out of the old girl sure, what have you got to loose. In the mean time start saving for a rebuild or new car. If you need 50W you are due.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Are you having the common oil pressure light and buzzer going off around idle? A pretty cheap and effective fix can be to just throw a new oil pump in it, and of course a new oil pan gasket. ITs about a 20 minute or so DIY repair.

Reply to
Biz

Why, is the oil light on? If not then why?

Reply to
Woodchuck

I USE 50W OIL WITH MY 94 JETTA, AND IT HAS ABOUT 80K MILES. ITS GOO TO GET A LITTLE MOR LIFE OUT OF YOUR ENGINE From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
vwjowo

||I USE 50W OIL WITH MY 94 JETTA, AND IT HAS ABOUT 80K MILES. ITS GOOD ||TO GET A LITTLE MOR LIFE OUT OF YOUR ENGINE. ||From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

If you are using straight 50W on an 80K engine, you are probably harming it every time it starts. If you live in Death Valley it might be different. Use a multiweight. and 80K motor should be fine on 10W30. If it has pressure problems or uses a little oil go to 20W50. But an 80K motor shouldn't have issues.

And fix your capslock key. It's annoying. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B