02 silverado 4.8 fuel pump

My engine was hesitating and now won't start, no fuel pressure at test fitting, removed fuel pump and test on bench. In upright position it will not run but lay it on it's side and it will. Is this confirmation I need a new pump? Also I get no power at connector for pump in any of the 4 pins. The service manual says the pcm will de-energize the relay to fuel pump if crankshaft rotation is not detected but shouldn't there be power for a few seconds at the beginning? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
mark