1994 GMC S-15 Jimmy - front drive "clunk"

About 1K miles ago had Jimmy in for rotate and alignment @ 98K. Tech said idler arm was worn enough to need replaced right away, so had that done. This weekend went on 400 mi trip. Noticed single "clunk" sound from front end (more heard than felt) several (maybe

3) times while backing up (and maybe turning wheel slight left)(not every time). Only mention by Tech re front drive was a slight leak from left side axle seal on diff. Enough to make diff wet, not enough to leave spot in drive. After 2nd clunk, I did take a quick look at steering, diff, axles etc. Nothing obvious. Is this clunk symptom at all common ?? Known cause ?? What to look for ??

TIA, Reed

Reply to
Reed

Hi, I just got my 91 Jimmy to be checked because it had the symptom you describe. It got aligned 2000Km ago and I knew the ball joints were OK. It appears that the tech did not tighten the camber alignment nut properly. The control arm was moving in and out and was creating a "clunk" when backing up in driveway. We tighten the nut and checked both sides... they were not properly tighten but only one of them got loose.

I'm due for another alignment now.

Reply to
Le Boule

Just went out and checked. Exactly right ! The right front is obviously not tight. Can see space between brackets and bushings, also compared to other side.

Thank you for the tip. Looks like I'll have to have a stiff word with the shop that did the work.

Regards, Reed

Reply to
Reed