1995 wipers

Does anyone know of a mod I could do to my K1500 Z71 mist wiper circuit? Whenever the mist lever is used, the washer pump applies fluid & stops wiping after 3 cycles. This seems to be 1 cycle too many - it streaks the windshield wickedly everytime. Might sound anal to some but this makes it very hard to see through the mess on the glass. Tried several brands of wiper blades - same problem. Happened on my first windshield too (replaced due to cracks). I was thinking there was probably a resistor on the wiper delay board that would change the cycle time. Maybe someome has done this?

Reply to
Stephen Young

Hi, I don't have any idea as to what you would need to do to change the factory pre-set operation of your wiper blades? I'm assuming you have no problem other than your gripe about how GM designed this circuit.

Other than having my wipers quit on my '97 Tahoe, and luckily was able to fix them myself, I personally don't find GM's wiper operation to be at all bad.

What I've used since day one on my Tahoe, and numerous other vehicles is Rain-X on all my outer glass. Not sure if you've ever tried this product, but I swear by it.

This stuff really saved my ass one time years ago, when returning from a fishing trip from Detroit Lakes, Minn, back to Chicago where I lived at the time. On my '90 Dodge/Cummins, the External Voltage Regulator went bad returning, to leave me with no lights, no wipers, no radio, no power windows, etc, etc.

Going through Madison, Wisc, I encountered a horrific downpour. Still, with no wipers, and the Rain-X, I was able to see clearly in this torrential downpour, and was traveling at speeds of 70mph.

Give the Rain-X a try if you've never used it. Cleaning windows becomes much easier either by the wipers, or by hand. Read the directions for applying, and apply about once a month for optimum results. Mark

Does anyone know of a mod I could do to my K1500 Z71 mist wiper circuit? Whenever the mist lever is used, the washer pump applies fluid & stops wiping after 3 cycles. This seems to be 1 cycle too many - it streaks the windshield wickedly everytime. Might sound anal to some but this makes it very hard to see through the mess on the glass. Tried several brands of wiper blades - same problem. Happened on my first windshield too (replaced due to cracks). I was thinking there was probably a resistor on the wiper delay board that would change the cycle time. Maybe someome has done this?

Reply to
Mark D

Just going for mist shoudn't apply the washer pump. If that is the case, you have the infamaous GM truck wiper problem, you can fix it yourself or buy a new wiper circuit board. I know what you mean with the washer pump cycle though, it is just 1 too many times. If you find a way to alter it, let us know.

Reply to
73blazer

Thanks Mark, I've used Rain X and it is great stuff for just that - rain. I'm in Mich & I'm sure know when you get blasted by a Semi truck with snow/slush/dirty salt Rain X can't do a good enough job alone.

Reply to
Stephen Young

I have had the bad wiper motor issue resolved with the recall. It was a scary episode when that thing failed in a downpour going through a very busy intersection! You say the washer pump is NOT supposed to come on when you push the mist lever? It's always come on without fail in this truck - before & after the recall issue.

Reply to
Stephen Young

Hi Stephen, I can once remember a program that used to air many years agao, about testing ptoducts, and debunking myths/claims that manufacturers would make about thier products.

One time it was about Rain-X's claim that it repels rain, snow, mud, so they used a test vehicle, Rain-X'ed one 1/2 of the windshield, and left the other 1/2 alone. They threw a bucketfull of nasty thick muddy water at the windshield, and they were quite surprised at Rain-X's effectiveness.

About your wipers, Yes, I believe when you actuate the Mist Feature, it will spray the washer fluid, and then go through it's 3 wipe cycle, but on my '97 Tahoe, I can twist the stalk back towards me, and get just one wipe cycle, without activating the washers. Not sure if your truck is like that?

No doubt on the wiper's circuit board, there must be some type of device/component that would permit changing the cycle time? Mark

Reply to
Mark D

If you're talking in snow and I ice, I hear ya! What I usually do is crank the defrost on full until it heats the windshield up really well, then clean it. If that isn't what you are talking about, read on.

I don't think that the board has a timer of any sort. I imagine that the system uses the park position switch (or whatever it is that tells the board the wipers are in the "home" position) to "count" the number of wipes...

If we can get the schematics for the actual board, I can probably help you change the number of wipes.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

I have since received the official GM manual for this truck & realize I misspoke. This is not the mist circuit I have been talking about - I should have been speaking of the washer circuit. When the washer lever (switch) is pushed, the wiper motor comes on & the washer motor pumps until it's released, then the wiper motor runs for approx. 6 seconds. This time period is controlled by the solid state control board within the wiper motor assembly. This is roughly what the manual states. You're right, schematics would help greatly.

Reply to
Stephen Young