Really good windshield wiper blades?

I've discovered that in almost every area one can find many products and then there is one or two that may cost more but are really, really better, work better, last longer.

I've often wondered if this is true with wiper blades. I need new ones. Any recommendations?

thank you

Reply to
Redigoogle

Buy cheap, replace every 6 months.

Reply to
still me

on 10/19/2007 12:31 PM Redigoogle said the following:

Everything is the same on every windshield wiper except maybe for the rubber used for the blades. Some may have coverings for the blade's mechanism to prevent ice building up. Running a very expensive blade across an icy windshield will hold up no better than a cheap blade. Wiper blades are one of those things you replace every year.

Reply to
willshak

Trico Exact Fit.

Get the ones that include the new blade holder assembly, not just the blade insert. The extra cost justifies the much easier installation (since no actual contact with the rubber wiper blade is necessary to install the new wiper assembly and blade vs. just replacing the rubber wiper blade).

Make sure the windshield is clean. Use the provided alcohol wipe on the rubber wiper blade before installation. Install the new wiper blade assembly. The new wiper assembly and blade will work great until the next time they need to be replaced. (To keep them that way, don't use RainX on the windshield.)

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Champion are very good compared with most juddery streaky junk that's on sale these days. I use Champion for the driver's side and Tesco super cheap ones for the passenger and rear wipers.

Reply to
Steve B

that in almost every area

don't use RainX on

These are good recommendations. Thanks to everyone responding.

Daniel, could you say more about not using RainEx. I've used it and thought it was effective.

Thank you Cliff

Reply to
Redigoogle

discovered that in almost every area

Maybe I've used it wrong, but when it got to the point that I still had to use my wipers after RainX had been applied to the windshield, the wipers would end up streaking the windshield rather than effectively wiping away the rain from the windshield. The streaks would be the entire width of the wiper blade, rather than in just a couple of spots as when a wiper blade becomes worn out.

Similar problems would also occur when using the washer fluid to wash the windshield when it wasn't raining. Streaks the entire width of the wiper blade would occur that would take a few seconds to disappear.

I've had this problem with both the RainX Exterior Glass Treatment and the RainX product that is supposed to mix with windshield washer fluid. I've always made sure the windshield was clean before applying RainX, and I've always made sure to use just a very small amount when applying RainX. It has just never worked well enough, in my opinion, to give satisfactory results when I do have to use the windshield wipers... I always get streaks the entire width of the wiper blade.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

I've been using Rain-X "Washer Fluid Additive" in my cars and my kids' cars for many years, and we all think it's great. After it's been used, wipers are totally unnecessary at around 100 km/h (60 mph) when it's raining (unless that rain is only a fine mist).

The only negative I've had is a barely visible, slightly opaque coating on the glass when it's dry, but only if it hasnt rained for many months (but with frequent use of the windscreen washers). I haven't seen any streaking like you describe.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

On Oct 20, 4:13 pm, John Henderson wrote: RainX Exterior Glass

Interesting thread and useful shared experience. Thank you. I think I've never had a vehicle in which the wiper fluid worked. Maybe this one.

I have used a similar product to RainX but never achieved the no- wipers necessary status. That would be amazing. Sounds as if experimentation is in order

No one has mentioned any experience with teflon or silicone blades.

Thank you Cliff

Reply to
Redigoogle

The Rain-X bottle claims that it's compatible with other additives. I've never trusted that advice, and always made sure I've got all other chemicals out before starting Rain-X treatment.

I've tried various "clever" rubber compounds, but have always gone back to ordinary Bosch inserts. I'm in Australia, and I imagine these would be sourced differently in different countries.

I imagine brands fitted at original equipment would probably be very good - Denso and SWF are such brands I would not hesitate to buy.

I've got a Scottish streak to my nature - every year I replace the driver's side wiper insert, move that old one to the passenger side, and in turn move that one to the rear.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

The best stuff I've ever found for cleaning the windscreen so that wipers work like new, no smearing or streaking and cuts through traffic film like a knife through the proverbial, is an aerosol you spray on a damp screen and use the wipers to clean it off......Holts Screenies with the Mixra formulation, it used to be called Mixra several years ago. I got mine from

in July but they don't seem to show it on their site any more. However, they have got the results of an Auto Express wiper blade test on their site at

Steve B

on 10/21/2007 3:59 AM Steve B said the following:

I don't see anything about an Auto Express wiper blade on that site.

Reply to
willshak

Rain-x does leave a film when used with wipers, which you have to do below 35mph. It compensates for a little of that by giving you a smoother wipe. Using the wipers also wears off the Rain-x. Personally, I prefer just keeping the windshield clean.

They're great- for 6 months, just like the cheap blades. Just buy cheap ones and throw them out every 6 months.

Reply to
still me

Weird, it's there for me. Test results, star ratings out of 5 (5 is best)...........

TP TV480 (Car Parts Direct) 5 stars Wipac WX19 3 stars Trico ExactFit E48K + ES48DR 2 stars Cosmic Clearview CC19 2 stars Dyna 3 stars Valeo Silencio 4 stars Bosch Super Plus 19/19S 3 stars Halfords Easy Fit Wiper Set 3 stars Trico Teflon TEF480 2 stars Champion X48 Aerovantage 4 stars

TP TVTP TV480

Reply to
Steve B