2001 window regulator cables - discovered a fix

Well, we found out what GM uses for window regulator cables. They are called a BOWDEN Cable. You can read about them here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bowden
They cost about $3.99 each pre-made at any bicycle shop. The thinnest ones are 1.5 mm and that is what is used in our electric window mechanisms.
The motor is a capstan winch with two of these cables on the same capstan.
If you can tune a fishing reel then you can fix this.
Save big bucks!!
You may need to shorten a cable so buy some 1/16th inch end ferrules and a crimper or press tool. You will pay about a dime each (tops) for the ferrules - but they may try to whack you on the press. I made one from a steel expansion plug that fit into the jaws of a bird-beak vice-grip.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.