2007+ Suburban: Air Dam/Center Console Readily Removable?

Ergonomically-challenged driver shopping for a replacement for his 1998 'burb whose roof is rusting through.

I need for the center console (the part just under the radio, not the bin further back) to be removable for leg room.

Also would like tb able to pull off the air dam before the first sand dune rips it off.

Is there any hope there? Or should I limit myself to pre-2007 vehicles?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

Also, I should acknowledge Augustus' reply to "Newer Suburbans: Remove Air Dam?"...

That helps, but I'm looking for something more specific by year.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Depends on which options it had. The automatics have a one piece and the sticks had a two piece part. They can be interchanged without much work.

The air dam as in the rubber section or the actual sheet molded piece that also serves as part of the front fascia?

The rubber flap is easy. Two screws and a couple push pin rivets. The other piece is a section of the front end. A saw can remove it.

Reply to
Steve W.

On an '07 Suburban/Avalanche/ Tahoe the from air dam is held on by about

12-14 small body fasteners (read: body screws) and can be removed in about 5 minutes or less with a small powered nut driver.
Reply to
Augustus

Per Augustus:

Thanks. That expands my list from pre-2006 to at least 2007.

I was trying to avoid another Suburban, but so few vehicles have the head room I need.... and the Excursion, from what I'm told, gets really poor (as in single digits) gas mileage.

Been flirting with Toyota's JP Cruiser - sacrificing cargo capacity for fun-to-drive - but it's finally dawned on me that the roof on the side comes down to right about temple level.

So maybe I'm back to a 'burb. In spite of my miserable-bordering-on bizarre experience with my 1998 many people seem happy with them - at least I don't seem them littering the roadsides' breakdown lanes...

And they *do* have the head/knee room.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The front air dam is attached the same way up to the current 2010 model year on SUV's. A Suburban has exactly the same head room as any of the full size GMC SUV line....Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Avalanche, Silverado, Tahoe, Escalade, Escalade ESV, etc. The Suburban is no more or less reliable than any of the same family. The Excursion get gravel truck-like mileage and a ride to match it. I go hunting every year several with a friend who's 6'

5".....he doesn't have any issues in my '04 Z71 Avalanche and it has a sunroof to boot. Come to think of it, he drives an older Ford Explorer and he doesn't complain about it either.
Reply to
Augustus