3.73 + 3.06 + 305ci

'86 Siverado, 2WD, 31" tires....... I've got to decide whether to install a 3.73 or 3.42 rear end gears, to go with my 700R4 [3.06 first gear] and 305ci. The 3.42 would be best for first gear, but the 3.73 would be best for the remaining gears. The question I have, and would be thankful for regards; anyone's opinion of a 3.73 + 3.06 1st gear + a stock 305ci... would this produce a 'creeper gear', and too much load for a stock 305ci? Thanks for your help and time, GC

Reply to
GC

With 31's on it I'd drop 4.10's in there. The 700R4 has a low enough OD + lockup to keep the cruising RPM's reasonable, and the 4.10's will give you enough snort in 1st to get the damn thing going with that anemic 305.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I agree...Go with 4.10 gears! With the 30% OD you will have a final ratio about 2.90.

Reply to
Shades

an '86 305 was what.... 135HP?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I believe that is the number Bret! The carbed 305's were pathetic little creatures.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks folks... I had decided on the 3.42 some time ago, but that now seems a waste of money and time considering the out-come limitations. A

3.73 or 4.10 would give the 'feel' of much more power, and make a good light duty/recreational truck... something for camping, shopping, [light] hauling, and firewood, etc............ not a bad $2900.00 investment! Thanks again for the help, GC
Reply to
GC

OUCH. $2900 for the ring/pinion and install or $2900 for the truck? If you're paying that for the R&P, you're getting hosed, BIG TIME.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

OUCH. $2900 for the ring/pinion and install or $2900 for the truck? If you're paying that for the R&P, you're getting hosed, BIG TIME. Doc ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, 2900.00 for the truck. A bit much, but it's in good shape... the interior, body, and a one owner. Nothing monkeyed with, which is worth almost as much--nothing to 'un-do' or 're-do', and I'm sure everyone knows what I mean, especially with older vehicles. I got lucky in that regard. I figure about $250.00 for parts, and maybe put it in myself. What is the hardest part, or specialty tools needed?

Reply to
GC

Unless you are a fairly accomplished mechanic, NOT a shade tree or hobby mechanic, DONT even attempt it. Back lash, clearences, crush sleave and/or shims... Not for even most moderate mechanics. Could destroy a whole rearend, a week, and a bank account!

Reply to
Shades

I'm running 30.5" tires with 4.10's and a 4L65E tranny (same first gear as the

700's I believe).

I love the 4.10's.

I'd at least go with the 3.73's.

-marc