drive/driven gears for 3.73 in a 94 GT

I'm running stock size tires, but have 3.73 gears installed, and my speedo is way off. To keep the stock 8 tooth drive gear, I need to use a 24 tooth driven gear... does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes these? If not, I'll have to drop to a 6 or 7 tooth drive gear to compensate (6 tooth drive gear + 18 tooth driven gear would produce the most accurate speeo reading, correct?)

James

94 GT
Reply to
LoTekGuru

Nope. 23 is as high as they go and those don't last. Since you are talking about swaping drive gears I'm assuming you have a T5

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Are you sure about the drive gear? Dont count the run up and run down as separate turns. I have a 95GT and put in 3.73 gears. I required a 21 tooth gear to make the speedo correct. It's been tested numerous times by radar and is right on.

LJH

95GT (5 speed)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I'm only going by what I've read, which is that the 94 GT came with a T5 transmission and thereore has an 8 tooth drive gear. Using the base formula:

Drive Gear Teeth x Axle Ratio x Tire Rev. Per Mile Driven Gear Teeth = -------------------------------------------------- 1000

I come up with either needing a 24 tooth driven gear for an 8 tooth drive gear (which apparently doesn't exist because it would eat itself), a 7 tooth drive gear with a 21 tooth driven gear (maybe you have a 7 tooth drive gear in your trans?), or a 6 tooth drive gear with an 18 tooth driven gear. If I'm wrong in my math, please correct me now, before I spend money on something that's still going to leave me with a messed up speedo!

Reply to
LoTekGuru

My T5 has a 7 tooth gear. You can count the teeth by removing the speed sensor. Dont count the run up and run down.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Thanks Larry, I'll look into what mine has tomorrow... would be great if I could buy/install just the speed sensor gear (I dont have the knowledge or the resources to open the tranny to change the drive gear). Wish me luck!

Reply to
LoTekGuru

The 23 tooth speedo gear will get you as close as you will get without changing the drive gear. I have had a 23 in our 97 as well as installed in several other vehicles that we have experienced zero problems with. You will be off by only a couple of MPH. You can order the gear from PPI (Mustangparts.com) They (Jim) is an EXCELLENT source of hard to find/rare/special parts.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Thanks for the tip, Tim! I ordered it today, I should be able to install it this Friday hopefully (depending on how long it takes to get here)

James

Reply to
LoTekGuru