91 k2500 Fnt Axle

I just noticed a small puddle of gear lube on the driveway and upon inspection found the right front axle shaft has popped out of the axle tube by about 1/2 inch. I don't know ho far the truck was drive like this but probably less than 50 to 100km. Questions:

What retains the axle in position (pressed on bearings)? What is the likely damage (from those of you who have experience with this)? What is involved in fixing this?

Tho' I'm not a Lic'd mechanic, I'm very experienced in Auto repair; just haven't yet worked on these axles.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob

I've found the problem and ordered most of the required parts, except the culprit; the axle retaining ring (snap ring) that retains the axle. Apparently the failure of this $0.50 ($8.00 from GM) part is not uncommon that is why GM has discontinued it's supply and insists that you buy a new "retrofit" axle with a larger retaining ring and groove for about $500. Since the previous one lasted 6 to 10 years, I just want the retaining ring but GM won hear of it. Local drive line shops have the sam problem. Has someone else come up with a solution? One person has told me the old axle groove can be widened to accommodate the retrofit retaining ring (which has a round cross section instead of the traditional rectangular). Has anyone done this?

b.t.w. This is the same front end used in the K3500

Thx!

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Bob

A K2500 front axle isn't necessarily the same as a K3500, and it's really just better to identify your axle. I would expect a 3/4 ton to have a D44 and a 1 ton to have a D60. Check out

they are all about upgrading their axles and whatnot.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

it's either got the 8.25" (1500/7200lbs 2500) or the 9.25" (8600lbs

2500/3500) IFS front axle. the only GM trucks w/ a solid front axle in '91 were the blazer and the crew cab dually.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Really? I thought the IFS cluster f*ck was later on. My bad, but he still should refer to the axle by what it is, don't you agree? I mean he must know to have bought parts for it...

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

He did, you just weren't able to decipher it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

the IFS debuted in '88... the last solid axles were in '91 along with the very last carburetor.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

oh yeah... that reminds me... I read that the new generation of Jeep Grand Cherokee has gone IFS... that's a shame.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

So what you and bret are saying is this; His 2500 could either have an 8.25 IFS, a 9.25" IFS, OR he **could** have a D60 from a crew crab under there.... Only lamers like Doc keep stock axles under the truck......

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

assuming stock components, if it has 6 lugs, it has the 8.25, 8 lugs, the 9.25.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

What's fun about stock...

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

No, what I'm saying is that if you read the original post carefully, it would have been quite obvious that the poster was describing what could only happen to an IFS front diff. Of course, this assumes that you would know enough about the differences between the solid axles and the aluminium front diffs.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hi:

I repaired it. Seems fine now.(:/ I carefully measured the axle and remains of the broken retaining ring and found some very close matches on a couple of online catalogues. I ordered a couple of (imperial for a metric? axle) retaining rings through a local bearing wholesaler for $2.80 each.

Here are the numbers if anyone cares: "Rotorclip" SHI-137 or "Truarc" 5180-137

GM dealer was not much help. They even gave me an obviously wrong axle bearing even though I spent an hour at their parts counter and they kept the old one for comparison. >:( I replaced the right bottom ball joint (for the second time in 8 months

- crap part, and 3rd time in 3 years.) Yesterday I found the top is also kaput (I know, I should have checked that sooner but I wouldn't have had the time to change it at the same time as I was doing the other work anyways).

To clear up any confusion:

9.25" IFS (8600lbs 2500/3500)

As far as going solid axle, that would be my preference, but so would so many other things that aren't part of this truck that it isn't worth the time. To boot; everything electronic on this truck is a problem; and we won't get into the a-PEALING silver paint!

Many thanks to B&B Bearing and Mainland Transmission, Surrey, BC and especially Ken ay Coast Powertrain Ltd, New Westminster, BC.

Merry Christmas!

GMC Greml> A K2500 front axle isn't necessarily the same as a K3500, and it's really

Reply to
Bob