wheel bearings 93 crown vic

how do you clean the old grease out of wheel bearings? solvent of sorts? I was thinking of repacking my bearings, they haven't been done for well, probally ever.

any bearing grease better htan others to repack?

Reply to
Picasso

Forget the gasket - use RTV

Forget repacking the bearings. The bearings are not grease packed. They are lubed from the diff oil. Don't even worry about washing them. They are pressed into the housing. You almost always damage them when removing making replacement necessary. They ride directly on the axle shaft with no inner race. Don't screw aroung with them at all unless you have to replace a leaky seal or have a bad bearing. There is no maintenance required unless there is a known problem. The only maintenace is to remove the cover to dump the fluid, replace cover and refill with fresh diff oil per owner manual.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

OK, right on, i think theres a gasket there now, or maybe not. I'll just use straight RTV.

Thanks. I have to do an axle seal anyway, so i might as well do both seals i think... so long as its not a HUGE deal

Reply to
Picasso

If you have to do one seal, do both. It's not that bigger deal. Check the bearing surfaces of the axle shaft for any signs of pitting or spalling where the bearings ride. Service the bearings if you see any problems. If the axle shaft is damaged, you will need to uses a repair setup made for the purpose or install a new axle shaft and bearings. From what you say, you only need new seals. This is also a good time to inspect/replace your parking brakes as the axles have to be pulled to service them. Don't do anything with the bearings or axles unless there is a problem. I am also a fan of leaving the pinion seal alone unless you have a problem beacuse you need to know a bit about what you are doing and get it properly tightened which also adjust the preload on the pinion bearings. This can be critical. Do use the best gear lube you can find to refill the differential.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut