93 k2500 suburban 5.7l - Too old to tow?

89GMC wrote:

> [...]

Is this the general opinion? I'm in almost exactly the same boat as this guy - I have a 93 suburban K2500 4x4 that I have primarily as a tow vehicle for a 2 axle 6500lb trailer. At 220k miles, I put a replacement (oem) engine in it. It still needs other things, but I figured it would make more sense to maintain it rather than get another, especially since I don't have to make any payments on it or pay for comprehensive insurance.

After getting the oem replacement engine, I kicked myself in the ass for not going the route of the 383 stroker. The oem 5.7 is a 4 bolt, however it has very low power (hp/torque) compared to newer vehicles and the stroker. It'll pull the trailer, but not as well as I had hoped. I've pretty much given up on hopping it up to eek a few more ft/ lbs out of it since I just don't want to get into it that deep.

I've always had older trucks and used them for towing (this one replaced a 78 Bronco) - but what do you guys think? Is it foolish to use a truck this old for towing? My guess is that the origin of this statement has to do with MPG and highway handling with a trailer, but not sure. But it takes a lot of MPG gain in order to justify having a truck payment... I generally only tow a few times a year (in the past year, I only put 4000 miles on it).

Thanks,

--Jeff

Reply to
JeffH

Sounds like me with my '89 1500 4x4 Suburban (145,000 miles). I bought it new, used to drive it 25 miles a day round trip to work for

10 years, then I got a new '99 Boneville for my wife to drive (it now has 108,000 miles) and I have done my commute in her "old" '90 Lumina Euro (now 187,000 miles on it) ever since. The poor Suburban now gets only about 1200 mile a year, usually pulling our jet boat to the lake and back!! If your truck is mechanically sound (including brakes, suspension, steering, etc.) and your not the type of person that just has to have the "latest and greatest" why not keep it and use it. I do all of my own routine service & repair to my fleet. As a result, either I have been VERY lucky, OR routine service really pays off...... I bet I have spent no more than $100.00 per year on repair parts over the life of these vehicles. True that I spend money on "service parts" like oil, filters, hoses, belts and other fluids, but not on "repair parts"!! I am a firm believer in regular oil changes (4000 to 4500 miles max) and trans service every 45,000. All vehicles are garaged....that really helps keep 'em nice.
Reply to
randy

I'm towing a 7K trailer with my 89 K3500 dually with a 454/th400 in it. Truck has 130K on it. I only put about 3k miles on the truck per year, and only about 500 ish of those are towing. With everything loaded up i'm probably pushing 9-10K. Truck is solid, when I got it a couple years ago, I went through it front to back to the tune of about

1500 bucks. Runs like a top, I replaced a LOT of parts. I def cannot justify(or afford) a new truck for the amount I use it. As long as you have no frame issues and it hasn't been in a serious wreck and you do routine maintenance I don't see any reason not to tow with it.
Reply to
89GMC