95 Lumina running hot

grandpa and I have been trying to figure his 3.1 chevy Lumina out.The problem is, is that it overheats. You can drive it 4-5 miles andthe temp will rise really quick, but will go down just as fast. Ichanged the temp gauge sending unit and thermostat It seems to becirculating coolant at idle with the cap off. I just wander if I haveremoved all of the air via the air bleeds in the coolant system,because when the temp rises The heater will soon quit blowing hot airlike it is air blocked. If anyone has expirienced this prob. and has asolution please post it this is my granpa's only car.
Reply to
sanwan

The first thing is was it running hot before you did the work. If not make sure you have bleed the system completely and it is full of coolant. If it was running hot before you did the work then I would ask is the cooling fans coming on? Is the radiator stopped up internally or externally? If not very possible that the head gasket is blown which would also make one run hot very quick. You also might see bubbles in the radiator.

Alan

Reply to
Alan