'96 Silverado 305

The Radiator blew. Should I just buy a new one (about $400.00) or have my old one repaired? Has anyone had theirs fixed? Does it last?

Because I live in Florida I took my thermostat out a few months ago. It runs allot cooler and I get better gas mileage with it out. Could this be what caused the radiator to blow? Too much flow?

I've already checked - its not blown head gasket.

Thanks, Sonny

Reply to
Sonny H

You really need to read this. You could be damaging your engine.

JR

Reply to
JR

First of all,no matter where you live,ALWAYS run a thermostat.It helps the engine warm up faster,and better for it. The engine runs cooler now cuz there is no thermostat and takes much longer to get to normal temp. For $400 you could get a brand new all aluminum.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks JR! I've been hoping to find some information on Sierra Antifreeze, and this gave me reason to be glad that I decided to use it in my new (and future) cooling system........ thanks again.

from link:

As an alternative, automotive chemical manufacturers have formulated a newer type of antifreeze using propylene glycol (PG) instead of ethylene glycol, which is less harmful if accidentally ingested. A popular brand is SIERRA=AE, which was the first nationally marketed propylene glycol based antifreeze. =A0=A0 Safer, propylene glycol based antifreeze provides performance and protection comparable to conventional ethylene glycol based antifreeze in four key areas of engine protection: boil over, freeze-up, corrosion and heat transfer. SIERRA=AE, and other propylene glycol based antifreeze products are available nationwide, and can be the extra margin of safety to protect your children, pets, drinking water, and neighborhood wildlife.

Reply to
GC

from link:

can be the extra margin of safety to protect your children, pets, drinking water, and neighborhood wildlife. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Just as long as you realize that it is just "safer", not safe. It'll still kill ya, just takes a little more to do it. H

Reply to
Hairy

Propylene glycol is a common food additive.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

True, but in very small amounts. It is considered a "safe toxin".

Ethylene glycol affects the body's chemistry by increasing the amount of acid, resulting in metabolic problems. Similar to ethylene glycol, propylene glycol increases the amount of acid in the body. However, larger amounts of propylene glycol are needed to cause this effect.

I remember when propylene glycol was first marketed as "the safe alternative" to ethylene glycol. They were sued and were forced to change their labeling to "the safer alternative". H

Reply to
Hairy

If my memory is correct, I used propylene glycol as part of the base for fabric dye, when I worked in a textile plant many yrs ago... seemed less toxic than many chemicals, but certainly nothing you'd want to have with a handful of cookies. :-)

Reply to
GC