95 GT overheating

My friend's 95 GT overheats when the A/C is used. Anybody have any idea what could cause this? He installed a 2nd (electric) fan to keep it cool... and so far it's helped.. but any reason why it would overheat in the past? Thanks.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
Reply to
<memset

Hopefully he's changed the fluid recently. Is the shroud still in place?

Could be a partially clogged radiator that's just getting by and when the a/c condenser starts dumping more heat in front of the radiator it puts it over the edge. Check for cool spots on the radiator when the engine is warmed up. (signs of coolant not flowing through)

Does it have a belt driven fan/clutch? When the engine is hot...and stopped...see if the fan clutch spins too freely.

Reply to
Dinsdale

Reply to
Rick Olive

see below

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

He's flushed the radiator SEVERAL times at his house w/ water hose.. I believe so (shroud).

Will do. 'ppreciate it.

Hmm.. dunno where the fan clutch is.. but I'll find out! Thx again.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Not a head gasket.. coolant doesn't leak *at all*. I'm gonna check for cool spots on the radiator to see if it's clogged... my radiator had to be replaced before come to think of it. Man, I've dumped so much $$ into this car. $400 for new radiator + install.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Mike, the GT over heating could be the result of a bad thermostat, old coolant, bad core in the radiator or depending if this GT has 100-150k miles a badly compressed or worn out head gasket which is ready to blow.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

opined in news:S1Gad.4073$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

If he's done a good flush and the radiators clear and the fan's working right and it only happens with a/c on...

-then- Get a bottle of Red Line water-wetter and put it in... it will solve that problem.

One of only 2 "additives" that I KNOW work as adverted!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

No fan clutch after 93. You wont find it. Replace thermostat first. Flush radiator and engine if it hasnt been done in a while. Check timing.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Not likely that it's the t-stat if it only overheats when the A/C is on.. a stuck stat will cause an overheat anytime.. Can't be a fan clutch... it doesn't have one. Could be a plugged up radiator. You could try a good flush and fill of fresh coolant. If the radiator is plugged up, they are pretty cheap (about $100.00) for a new one, and they are VERY easy to replace. (under an hour)

Couple more thoughts... Is the coolant mixture correct ? Some people fill their radiators with 100% coolant (no water at all) thinking that is a good thing. but it isn't! Also, are you sure it's overheating ? it could be something as stupid as a bad sending unit and it is telling you that it is hot, but it really isn't!

good luck!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

What is the other additive?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Has he checked the obvious? Thermostat and radiator cap?

| >-Mike | | Hopefully he's changed the fluid recently. | Is the shroud still in place? | | Could be a partially clogged radiator that's just getting by and when | the a/c condenser starts dumping more heat in front of the radiator it | puts it over the edge. Check for cool spots on the radiator when the | engine is warmed up. (signs of coolant not flowing through) | | Does it have a belt driven fan/clutch? When the engine is hot...and | stopped...see if the fan clutch spins too freely. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

95 has electric fan.

Rein

Just flushing it won't do anythign once it is clogged up. You will need some aggresive cleaner in there or just replace the radiator or have it rodded (if that's even possible with these) Having it flushed now is not enough if it hasn't been done every 2 or

3 years or so.

Rein

Thermostat was replaced, helped the problem (he's been diagnosing it for a while) a noticeable amount. He hasn't checked the radiator cap I'm sure. Who can test them?

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

What sort of cleaner would you recommend?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

I told him to check for that, but he is so thick-skulled that he refuses to believe that it could be a problem. I'll tell him again. (fan coming on)

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

opined in news:uHTad.4258$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

Lucas AT fix... at least for trans that start to slip when hot (in my case), though said to sometimes fix some shift problems

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ah... neat. I'll look at his car again & see what I can find. It'll probably be this weekend before I can really dig into it.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Well to be fair, the fan problem did not show up until after most (if not all) people were well past warranty. Ford does not have any obligation to replace anything after the warranty period. They do have an obligation to prevent any possible fires.. thus the fuse.

LJH

95GT (still running the stock fan without a fuse)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I usually get whatever I see first. Last time I used prestone I think. Just make sure you let it sit long enough to do its work.

Rein