Thanks for all the imput especially shinden_kai and mastermech. I've
always considered myself a "shadetree" mechanic, but this was one of
my more involved projects. Most of the vehicles I worked on consisted
mostly of body-work and paint.
But she's done and running like a champ ( no check engine lights on
yet). so far no leaks. I let the rtv set for about 3 hrs before
filled up with coolant. I do notice that I don't need to mash the
pedal for it to kick down, just press steady and firm. The distibutor
wasn't that bad at all. I did pick up a shop manual for torque specs
and to help guide me along. I added a few new tools to the collection
such as a powersteering pump pully puller, and a tap set. I think I
spent as much time cleaning as I did wrenching. Didnt hurt to put two
new valve cover gaskets on since it was apart. It was also nice to get
them out of the way to clean. Don't for get the o-rings to the gas
lines. I did not do the top manifold as I felt it wasn't nessesary,
just checked torque. She got a fresh oil change and off we went.
Thanks again for the input.