Intake manifold gasket - 3.4L engine

Found a small coolant leak presumedly from a leaking intake manifold gasket.

98 Montana w/approx 93K miles. GM released a 'new design' gasket with 'improved sealing qualities'. Felpro lists an intake manifold gasket set for the 3.4l engine. Anyone have exprience with Felpro gaskets for this engine.? I've successfully used Felpro gaskets in other applications but since the 3.4 engine is prone to intake leaks, I'd like to not have to do the job again.
Reply to
DonW

Don,

Did you get a response to this query?

I have the same leak on my 2000 Montana. I found a GM service bulletin

03-06-01-010 dated March 2003 which calls out a 'new' gasket with better sealing properties and the torque specs for the intake manifold. The new GM part number is 89017279.

Did you do your gaskets yet, and how difficult was it?

Regards,

Jason.

D>Found a small coolant leak presumedly from a leaking intake manifold gasket.

Reply to
Jason and Terri

Jason didn't get any replies and ended up buying the Felpro set. To get to the lower manifold, a bunch of parts have to come off. I had access to a GM service manual, marked everything and took my time. The push rods have to come out to get the gaskets out. A special tool was needed to disconnect the fuel lines and you'll need torques wrenches. The service manual said the engine had to be dropped down to get the alternator out so I changed it too. With the upper manifold off it came out without lowering the engine. I used the new torq specs with the Felpro gasket however don't know if it is the same gasket as the new p/n. I'd say if you plan on doing it yourself, definitely get a service manual. Don

Reply to
DonW

I never done a 3.4 or seen the gaskets for one in person. How did those felpro ones look anyhow? I almost considered using some on my dads 98 pickup (lower intake) but I never got to look at a set.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Physically they looked like the ones I removed. The gasket appears to be "plastic" about 1/8" thick with "rubber" inserts around the sealing areas. I could see where the OE gasket sealing area had deformed and allowed some seepage. Not bad yet and hadn't gotten into the crankcase. I like the utility of the van and want to keep it. In the past Fel-pro has been the 'preferred' replacement gasket in some problem applications. Expensive enough! Nearly $50 for just the upper & lower set & a tube of RTV plus I had to buy valve cover gaskets as a separate item.

Reply to
DonW

I replaced them in my 01 montana with the latest version from GM. The new ones were quite different from the ones I removed and appeared to me to be much improved. I hope GM finally got it right as their latest is their third version.

Reply to
Rufus

And did you price the GM junk? Don't know about 4.3 stuff, but they are mighty proud of the 3.8 parts!!!

Reply to
clare