98 Blazer with Horrid Ping

I just bought a 98 Blazer with about 70K miles. It runs good execpt for a bad ping problem. I am living at an altitude of just over 9000 ft and I am running hi-octane fuel.

I assume the problem is either with the EGR system or the knock sensor. Can anyone tell me how to check these systems?

I would go down to a local auto parts store and buy a manuel, but since I live in Quito Ecuador, manuals are a bit hard to find.

DRW

Reply to
drw170

This is curious, at 9000 ft it dhould not be a problem. What is the octane of fuel down there.

Reply to
SnoMan

There are two grades of fuel here, Extra and Super. They don't post the octane rating, but I think Super is 90 or 91. I am running Super, which is what everybody recommends.

I do feel that there is a problem somewhere else. With a computer controlled ignition, the computer should take care of the timing. I drove my Dodge Caravan to the top of Pikes Peak, and other then not a lot of power at that altitude, it ran great. So 9000 ft shouldn't be a problem.

EGR and Knock sensor seem to be the logical places to look, but can anyone tell me how to check them?

DRW

Reply to
drw170

Since I just purchased this Blazer, I didn't have any hitory to know how it was supposed to run. When I test drove it I remembered a little ping, but not much. The first tank of gas I put in regular just to see how it ran. Not surprising, it pinged badly. The second tank was Premium and it ran about the same.

Most people I talked to seemed to think it was fuel, so for the thrird tank I filled up with premium at a different station (Texico) and it runs like a different vehicle!

So it appears that the problems was bad gas after all.

By the way, one "home remedy" that I was told by a local mechanic here to raise the octane of gas is to put "moth balls" in the gas tank, (1 per gallon of gas). He says that will eliminate most pings.

I am not about to try it in my car, but anybody know what moth balls are made of?

DRW

Reply to
drw170

Naptha, it is a very old trick.