98 Chevy Suburban Oil Cooler Line question

1998 Chevy Suburban K2500 4x4 454 engine (gas)

My suburban has a coolant leak at the upper oil cooler line fitting going into the radiator. There is a stamped tin nut that holds the fitting and leak appears to be coming from around this nut.

What is the correct tool for tightening this nut ? I have tried pliers but I'm afraid its just going to bend the thing up.

Thanks

Reply to
cr

the radiator. There is a stamped tin nut

I'm afraid its just going to bend the thing up.

As most others would say there is a crack in the plastic end housing of the radiator, thats why its leaking.

You will find tighting the nut does little to cure the leak. A new radiator is the only option. Might as well get new oil cooler lines too.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

messagenews:4750f341$0$8864$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

into the radiator. There is a stamped tin nut

I'm afraid its just going to bend the thing up.

radiator, thats why its leaking.

the only option.

As a temp fix (and I do mean a Temp fix) you can try to put some JB Weld around it and let it set up. This should stop the leak for a little while, allowing you to get the new rad.

Reply to
azwiley1

Yeah - I suspected that might be the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Chuck/Holly Roberts

If you're talking about the actual steel oil cooler line itself as in where it threads into the rad... They have tiny o rings around a recess in the fitting that end up dry rotting, etc. which causes leaking. I would use antiseize on the nut with a new o ring or some silicone high temp/gasket maker stuff. As for the correct tool to tighten this, it's a flare nut wrench or careful use of vice grips. You shouldn't have to turn it too hard if the o ring is in good shape. If the leak is actually between the metal flange and the plastic, you're beat and the rad needs to come out.

I hope this helps as I have had both the rad leak from the plastic itself which led to a new rad AND I have also had the leaking oil cooler line fixed with a new o ring. Get the ring o ring from the dealer as there are two kinds and nothing else seems to fit 'perfectly'.

Thanks, Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

Martin - you were correct. I found a crack in the plastic tank - just next to the upper oil cooler fitting. Its a shame to have to replace the entire radiator when really just one of the tanks is leaking. I looked at having a radiator shop replace the tank but decided it wasn't worth the risk of having another problem later. So, I'm in the process of putting a new radiator in.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
cr