99 sierra during cold starts idle surges

I have a 99 Sierra with the 5.3 liter V8. On cold starts it surges really bad from around 1300 rpm to almost stalling. I just noticed that there is a slight smell of gas while it surges. After it warms up it continues to surge lightly until it gets to full operating temperture. When its been driven for a while it's fine on the restart. Just recently the service engine light came on. My first thought was CTS but the symptoms aren't quite right. Any other ideas? Thanks Mike

Reply to
SgtSierra

Fuel filter Fuel pump Pressure regulator

Reply to
PM

The fuel pump has always made a noticable high pitch whinning noise especially for the last qaurter of a tank. Is this noise normal?

Where is the fuel filter, pressure regulator and coolant temp sensor?

Who writes a good service manual fro the GMC trucks?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
SgtSierra