Additive for limited-slip differential

Ok want to change my fluids in my differential's (99 k1500 suburban) the owner's manual says that if it a locking differential that it does not need the additive , but the dealership's and auto stores says it does need it. Whould it hurt to add it are should i leave it out. Im kinda confused on who is right owners manual are every one else that i spoke to? im kinda leaning to every one else.

tia

Reply to
kdm

calhoun

Reply to
George

Reply to
George

Reply to
calhoun

Gary and the gang have talked about this one many times. Here is a link for some past dirt that was unveiled.

Derek

May have to cut and paste the link if it doesn't work right.

derek

"kdm" wrote

The owner's manual is right. The dealership boys should know better, but I suppose they haven't been reading their paperwork for the last few years. You have the Eaton locking rear end, and it does not require the additive. I doubt anything bad will happen if you put it in....as we used to install it all the time, until GM mentioned that it was not necessary.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"kdm" wrote in

I ran into the same problem with my dealer and my 96 K1500 with limited slip rear axle. The GMC dealer put additive in when my owner's manual said no. After we all consulted the official GM workshop manual - which says clearly NO additive - the dealer drained the differential and filled it with the prescribed oil only. That was 65000 miles ago.

Reply to
Hanna Lahy

first, look in your glove box for the service parts identification sticker, look for G80, if it's not there, GM put an open diff in it, and someone else changed it later on. in that case the only way to tell is to pull the diff cover.

traction.eaton.com click on mechanical locking differential. Eaton makes the G80.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I would like to thank every one for there help. I took a look at the code today and it is the G80 so I want be adding anything but the oil in it. Now I just have to find recipe for the additive they already sold me.

Reply to
kdm