buick regal questions -- looking for advice

I just bought a 3.8L Regal 2000 LS with 34K miles.

I have the service records - and the car had a warranty job done (engine coolant leak recall -- done last August, and according to the dealer service receipt, the whole job consisted of the replacement of a nut, and new coolant, along with coolant "sealer pellets" added.)

The car's systems -- fuel, mechanical, electrical -- all appear to be in good shape.

I'd appreciate any advice/recommendations for its care, its weak spots and things to watch out for, worthwhile preventive maintenance items, etc..........

TIA Albert

Reply to
albert

The nuts that were replaced were for the intake manifold. The redesigned nuts are supposed to tighten down better to prevent the gasket from leaking antifreeze. The 3800 has had gasket problems and previous years had problems with the upper intake manifold cracking around the EGR tube. Your car I believe has the redesigned upper intake, which is plastic by the way.

Other than that one problem the car is a good choice and should provide years of service. Did you luck out and get one without ABS?

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 469 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

GOOD CARS OIL CHANGE EVERY 3,000 MILES AND DRIVE IT 3.8 MOTORS ARE RELIABLE I HAVE 3 IN MY FAMILY AND WOULD RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE TO EVERY ONE ENJOY

Reply to
Hay Now

Reply to
stuart8181

Thanks for the good wishes. As for ABS -- it has it. Frankly, this is the first car I've owned with ABS and I've always been curious about it. I can see you are less than enthusiastic about ABS -- I'm curious -- nix on this model's ABS, or as a general principle?

albert

Reply to
albert

Thanks Stuart and Hay Now,

albert

Reply to
albert

Nix on ABS as a general principle. I just don't think it has been perfected yet. Plus I hear to many complaints from people of not being able to stop on uneven surfaces or while towing. Dad had three accidents with a Ford truck that just wouldn't stop, two times he had the boat with him. If it was the former Chevy truck without ABS that he had, we wouldn't of had to buy a F250 bumper, grille & headlights and a rear clip for what he had hit.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 900 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

I had an Accident in my first 1998 Buick Century. It was a semi-warm night, about 55 degrees air temp, mid spring, it had been 75 thru out the day. No chance of ice. It was about 4 in the morning and raining. I had new tires on the car. Coming out of a corner on a country road I saw a genuine Trophy Class Buck in my path. I swerved, and tried to correct, while braking. FWD with ABS, your supposedto be able to do so.

The dang car would not correct. I lost control, and slid off the road. Both air bag blew after leaving the road, and deflated right before the Large tree that stopped me.

Long story short. $9,780 in damages to a car I still owed $9,000 on in

2002. It was a total write off (like a idiot I bought another 98, for WAYto much), This one is worse in the wet weather, or on gravel.

When it rains or snows, I park it. I would rather drive my super high mileage 84 C-10 2WD 1/2 ton then the car. Atleast the truck is predictable when I mash the brakes down, and correctible.

When your off-road, or on snow, your brakes locking up is a good thing. It allows material to pile in front of the tires, which stops you quicker. This is why newer Four Wheel Drive trucks have an ABS off switch. Charles I frigging hate it when I hit a pot hole, then the "LOW TRAC" light comes on. Same damned light comes on anytime I need to stop quickly and the car slides. POS last new GM I am keeping ABS on.

P.P.S. A Deer that large, in that car would have killed me. In my truck It would have hurt a bit. If I would have had my rifle with me, I would have went deer hunting after the wreck.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Jeremiah

That's what you get for FWD and nearly 200HP. A silly combination of power, torque-steer, and wieght distribution. All of the big FWD boats fail in emergency situations like this.

ABS is junk. What isn't is AWD with stability control. This is what keeps you from sliding or slipping under hard braking and rapid direction changes. ABS just makes you stop quicker, nothing more.

Part of the problem is that people think that ABS allows you to do the same thing as the more modern and expensive stability control, thanks to nearly two decades of advertizing and reviews.

Sorry to hear you bought another FWD Buick. I'd have gotten something RWD or AWD myself.(The Vibe in AWD is a good car, actually)

Also, air bags are junk as well. They are made with the idea that they need to function as a primary safety device. Ie - replace the seat belt. It has been shown that wearing a seat-belt is more effective.

Yet - I bet $2000 in the damages was for replacing the airbags. Nice scam they have there.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If he was applying the brakes I fail to see how much HP and torque the engine makes matters. Torque steer only comes in when you're giving it gas. Weight distribution I can see though.

No, it's also supposed to help you control where you want the vehicle to go when you're braking. You know, my uncle has an AWD van, we've been able to get that thing to slide on snow. We have a 4WD Blazer, we've been able to get that thing to slide also. All stability control does is cut the engine power. AWD does the same thing as 4WD, it helps you get moving. 4WD doesn't help with braking, how does AWD? UNLESS...you use your gas when you're slamming on the brakes, which I don't really see as helping any.

They both have their places, ABS is for braking, traction/stability control is for traction/stability. You wouldn't say that the Volvo XC90 with it's stability control that'll apply the brakes when it feels that it might tip over is the same thing as ABS would you? Nope, just like how you wouldn't say that ABS will stop an SUV from tipping over.

Air bags DO work to a degree if people in the vehicle also have their seatbelts on. Some of the newer ones won't even deploy unless a seat belt is worn since it could do more harm then good.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

1998 Bucik Century with a 3.1 V6 has 200 HP? You must be thinking of a Super Charged Regal. Try more along the the lines of 130 to maybe 140.

Torque Steer was not an issue either as throttle was not used for braking manuver.If I would have thought a blip of the throttle would have helped correct, I would have done so.

How can anyone call a COMPACT car a boat. They market it as a "full" size car. When I got the First 98 Century I also had a 93 Buick Park Ave. Which made the Century look Mid-size. My 79 Buick Lesabra made the 93 Park Ave look mid-size, for that matter.

Stability controll is just a little computer that shuts down fuel, or spark. I know I can do better my self. But then, I have racing experiance and experiance doing a bit of extreame driving.

I beleave Anti-Lock Brake Systems are supposed to keep the brakes from locking, overpowering the traction of the tires. The car plowwed and skid. ABS cars should not do that in RAIN. The car should have only plowwed if when the wheels were turned to sharp for the speed of travel. Not with a reasonible amount of turn, with the brakes on.

I transport my disabled Mother. Doing so requires a vehical she can enter and exit. She can Enter and Exit the Century with ease. So my only other option in the price range was a used S-10 Extreame, and a set of firestone air bags.

As for a Vibe, you could not pay me enough to own one. If I want all four wheels driving at once, I will buy a Truck with a LOW range. If I ever get an AWD Astro, I have already found out I can mate a NP205 transfer case in to one. They do make 6 & 8 inch lift kits for them as well.

Air bags are to protect small people, who sit close to the steering wheel from chest and head injuries. I sit far enough back that all the air bag did was knock my hat off my head, and knock my hands off the wheel. While the passengers side air bag broke the windshiels Via it's door, and knocked the rear view mirrior off. If my 4 foot 8 inch tall sister in law had been driving, she would have needed the air bag.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote

I don't think you understand what the intent and purpose of ABS is. It's definitely "not" intended to stop you quicker.

So tell me how you think that "Stabilitrak" systems work. I don't think that you understand how they work either.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

He was also trying to swerve around the deer.

Yet GM's version can't seen to do this. Neither can Ford's. Not reliably, at least.

Then it's not true stability control. The real thing effectively turns your car into a 4*4*4. Every wheel braking and accelerating independantly. Very slick technology that GM can't seen to get it's brain wrapped around. Mercedes has it and you can drive figure eights on ice with it. Toyota seems to make a decent implimentation as well. My friend can slide his 4-Runner and the rear end is virtually impossible to loose control of.

Well, that's a problem with weight and center of gravity. No, it's not the same thing as ABS, either, though ABS is a requirement for the latter technology.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Ah. You got the baby Buick. It's a fine car. The latest version puts out roughly 170hp, IIRC.

The problem is that you are trying to turn at the same time you have engine braking on those same wheels. FWD works best on small cars.

Sure - but even a Century is well over 3500lbs with fuel and a driver.

Well, if this is what GM is foisting off on us as stability control, then I can understand your reservations. The real thing requires true 4 wheel AWD and ABS working in conjunction.

My guess is the front-heavy design. My Buick LeSabre is notoriously bad in emergency maneuvers as well - all that weight is just too much for the front end and it overpowers the wheels when you brake hard.

I once stopped so hard that the front of the car hit the pavement. Yes, the rear end slid out on me as well - it had nowhere to go once the front suspension was overloaded and essentially immobile.

Thanfully it was only 3-4 ft to the side, but still - crappy design. Never had any car do that. I still drive it as a "beater" because it won't die, but I drive it like it's got zero safety. The Volvo 240 is what I drive in the rain. Rock-solid implimentation of the technology.

Yes, that's the problem. ABS should but it ususally seems to have half-assed computers as far as I can tell. Wet pavement or hydroplaning or mud or gravel gives it a brain-fart as it doesn't see enough friction to think it's going to lock up, even when basically locked up.

Doubly so if you have a vehicle like the F150 - ABS on the rear wheels only.

Heh. Me? I want a Volvo 303 or Unimog. :)

Well there's half of the damages.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joseph is so confused and mixed up that isn't funny

Stop writing man and start reading...

Reply to
rick

Yes, but he was also applying the brakes. If you're slamming on the brakes do you give it all the gas you can? No. Torque steer comes into play when you're giving it alot of gas.

They might not do it well, but then again I've never had to find out. Wait, scratch that. A couple years ago we were going up for deer hunting. My gramps in an 01 LeSabre, uncle in 99 Safari, us in a 97 Silverado. Gramps had to slam on his brakes and swerve to avoid hitting a turkey. My uncle and dad had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a couple deer that ran out in front of us. Not one of us had a problem with it.

Hmm, call me stupid but name one vehicle that can give all engine power to just one wheel. Acura is currently working on a system like that and it's on a concept car. BTW...you should read about Stabilitrack

And Iwouldn't say that GM doesn't get it to work unless you've been in a C5 withand without it on.

"Stability Enhancement Systems provide greater driver control under a variety of driving conditions and circumstances, such as unexpected emergency maneuvers. Steering wheel angle sensors and yaw rate sensors compare how the driver is steering to how the vehicle is responding and, when necessary, apply the brakes at one or more wheels to help bring the vehicle in line with the steering commands. GM's stability enhancement systems include StabiliTrak (available on Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, DeVille, Seville and Eldorado; Buick LeSabre and Park Avenue, and Pontiac Bonneville); Active Handling (Chevrolet Corvette), and the Precision Control System (Oldsmobile Intrigue and Aurora)"

Cars can roll over too you know. Glad that we agree ABS has its place and traction control has its.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I read up on it. Evidently around 2000 or so they fixed the gremlins in the system and it works as it should. His car in question probably didn't have it.

Still, FWD isn't going to do more than half the intended job - you need AWD to make stability control really work as it should.

Nothing will save you if you totally load up the front suspension, though, which is what I suspect happened in his case. I've seen FWD cars spin and fishtail like a RWD vehicle when this happens.

Every GM car that I've owned or my father has was prone to weak front struts and springs after a few years. The original factory equipment is hopelessly average and should be replaced after 20-30K miles. Suspension components need more mass on the Buicks as well, especially up front.

As for the ABS - I suspect it had a rain-induced bout of confusion as well. Perhaps they need to have a second "wet mode" that turns on when the wipers do.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Interesting. I was considering even partial power while other wheels brake to be sufficient. My friend's 4-Runner does this and he can accelerate through a gravel turn and the rear end slides back in line right on cue with no slowing or input. Just drives a perfect line around the corner. Toyota seems to have a very good implimentation - but it's only on their

4*4 models so far.

100% power would be slick. Any idea when this might come to the market?

Sure. I just don't think that ABS is the same as stability control, despite what the marketing people want us to think. IMO, Stability control is the most valuable feature other than side impact airbags.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Honestly I'm not sure. I think that it's something that'll be in development for a few more years. If you're interested it's on the Acura RL concept. That I wouldn't mind having. Oops, first time I read it wrong. Still it's not a bad AWD system.

"The Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive System' (SH-AWD') is the first and only all-wheel-drive platform that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels. During straight line cruising and moderate cornering, up to 70 percent of torque is at the front wheels. During full throttle acceleration or spirited driving, up to 70 percent of available torque goes to the rear wheels for increased acceleration and enhanced cornering. In addition to varying the torque front to rear, SH-AWD varies the amount of torque to the left and right rear wheels. When cornering, this ground-breaking technology overdrives the outer rear wheel, sending up to 100 percent of rear torque to that wheel to dramatically enhance the RL's cornering, steering feel, handling and stability. The result is class-leading cornering performance and cornering stability as well as enhanced traction on dry or wet surfaces. "

It can be be pretty useful. I remember when I was looking at RWD cars awhile back I wanted to make sure that I got one with stability control since we get a decent amount of snow and rain here. In the few years of driving that I've done I've only had the brakes lock up once and I don't think I've ever had ABS kick in (once I was driving my aunts Z28 and I had to slam on the brakes to not run a stop sign and avoid hitting another car that just came to a complete stop in the middle of the intersection and the ABS wasn't pumping but the brakes weren't locked up either), but with damn near every FWD car (the lone exception is the 01 LeSabre with Stabilitrak) I've driven on snow it completely understeers. Those times I wouldn't have minded TCS or Stability Control. But I still prefer RWD in the winter months :P

Reply to
Phillip Schmid