Another Silverado shock question 2000

Hey all,

I have a 2k Silverado (extended cab, 5.3l, short box, z71) with 75k on the clock and the truck is getting really bouncy. I assume I need new shocks. From what I was told, Billstein came on the Z71 package but even through Rockauto, they run about $75 a piece. $300 for 4 shocks seems a bit high to me. Rockauto has some Monroe shocks for $18 a piece. Are the billsteins really worth the extra money? If they are so good, why do they only last 75k? (I did turn the front t-bars to get the truck level and am running 285/75/r16 BFG KOs, maybe that did it?) I used to haul dirtbikes and mild off road driving every weekend but now the truck's off road days are over and my dirtbike days are over so it's only used to go to home depot and occasionally tow a trailer with some yard equipment.

TIA

Reply to
genius

Billstein shocks are worth every penny you pay.

75 bucks each is a steal. I paid over $600 installed for the 2nd set of Billsteins for my 97 yukon. It almost rides like a car but I still have the off road control Iwant. Regards, JR
Reply to
JR

the $75 was through rockauto. At the $tealer, they were $100+. I plan to install myself as it looks pretty simple. Some penetrating oil and impact should make a quick job. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reply to
genius

Go with the blistiens. Most other brands develop gas or oil leaks. Try

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered 4 Billstein shocks from shockwarehouse for ~$263 delivered. Entire job took about 3 hours with 1 hour of that trying to get the spare tire out of the way. Truck rides a lot better now and is much less bouncy. I could push in the old shocks with my hands and when they expanded, they made a gurgling and squishy sound so I assume that was bad. Thanks again.

Reply to
genius