blower motor...help

I have a 98 Jimmy 120000kms on it and the blower motor rattles and squeaks when heater control selector switch is on position 1, especially on 2 and slightly gets quieter on position 3 and 4(blower motor full speed). This rattling is driving me crazy because wife drives it and I get all the complaints. I've looked under the hood to see how to change blower motor but the unit is sealed into a plastic factory housing . With previous GM vehicles I've owned changing blower motor was never a problem and with the last GM vehicle I had the same squeak and rattling and it turned out to be a bad ground on blower. Can anyone offer any help on how to change blower unit or maybe I have to grease a bearing or something? Thanks Sam

Reply to
Sam

Sam,

If memory serves, the blower motor is located on the far passenger side of the engine bay, just behind the shock tower. It is external to the HVAC system, i.e.) loosen the bolts and it pulls right out of it's mount.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

There is no shock tower on a Jimmy, its not front wheel drive ;)

Reply to
Eugene

According to GM-SI (service information) You are supposed to cut thru the blower motor access cover. Then reseal it in place with Weather Strip Adheasive.

It also states that the VCM must be removed first, as well as the coolant tank. Removing the VCM requires reprograming it. So unless you have a Tech 2 or equil aftermarket equipiment, this is not a service you can prefrom.

There maybe a better methiod of removial then the GM-SI way.

Charles Bendig

Reply to
Charles Bendig

This is not right. You aren't reading the service manual correctly. It's giving you the procedure for removal "or" replacement. You can remove the VCM without having to reprogram it. I've removed them a number of times to gain access to stuff.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Using my wife's truck (98' Sonoma 2WD) as a reference for the underhood layout, my bad!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yanking the battery cable is the same as "removing" the VCM right? And the VCM doesn't need to be reprogrammed when your battery craps out and needs replaced every 5-6 years right?

So why would the service manual state that removal necessitates reprogramming? Is this GM's way of making sure any newer ROM flashes are applied when the VCM has to be mucked with anyways?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It won't have a shock tower either, its rear wheel drive :)

Reply to
Eugene

Indeed sir...............can you tell me where the kunooter valve is located?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ian:

I am using GM-Sevice Information Softwear. Document ID# 422237

1998 GMC Truck Jimmy - 4WD.

I have yet to service one of these where I have had to do anything where VCM remoial or disconnecting was required.

Step#2 in removial according to GM-SI: Remove the PCM/VCM. Refer to PCM Replacement/Programming or VCM Replacement/Programming in Engine Controls.

Step#11 in installation according to GM-SI: Install the PCM/VCM. Refer to PCM Replacement/Programming or VCM Replacement/Programming in Engine Controls.

I looked for a asnwer to the blower motor cover, and saw the bit about PCM/VCM removial & reprograming. This is a area where your dealer experiance prevails. You proabably have worked on a lot of these trucks. Where they are just now getting old enough for people not to take them to dealer service departments.

Charles Bendig

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I don't know why GM-SI says on W-cars like my Century to remove the negitive battery cable when changing the blower motor. It is a Key on only powered circuit. I just turned the key off, losened the moter, removed the clip for the resistor, droped the moter and reversed for the install. Only problem with the job was I knew the resistor was bad, and the salvage yard didn't send a one with the motor. Yet what can you expect on new years eve?

I bought GM-SI 1998 up so I could do three things: Save on space, not have to worry about books getting greasy prints, and be able to have a copy in hand to explaine to customers exactly the repair done, and how it's perfromed.

Charles Bendig

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I guess my post might have sounded like I'm giving you sh*t for the info. Not my intent, just mentioning that "that" section of the service manual is not saying that anytime you "disconnect" the VCM you have to reprogram. I use SI every day, and it's very obscure and useless in many instances. Since they have moved away from the paper manuals, the quality of the service manuals has gone way downhill. A lot of it is just plain wrong, especially removal and installation procedures on new models. I had to do an oil pan gasket on a Malibu Maxx the other day, it has a different subframe, exhaust setup, motor mount set, but uses the same basic old 3.1/3.4/3.5 engine in it. SI says to remove this/that and the other, I look....doesn't make any sense...so I just figured out the procedure on my own. Worked out much better "my way". Hopefully, the vast majority of techs will attempt to follow SI, spend a whole lot more time on the job then is necessary, and push up the average time spent on the job. This in turn leads to higher labour estimates for GM warranty time when they put actual times in place (GM now pays straight time for many operations on new models, takes the average time from across all the different dealers nationwide that perform "that" job, and then determines their warranty times from there) Which will benefit me.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Its always funny to see someone new come on an S10 forum and ask about a shock tower brace and get laughed at and asked if they have ever opened the hood :)

Reply to
Eugene

Ian:

I know you were not giving me any guff. Just your perspective. Beleave it or not, when someone knows what they are talking about I listen.

You may or may not remember me from alt.autos.gm. Yet I remember you.

Charles Bendig

Reply to
Charles Bendig