94 Cherokee blower motor problem

My 94 4.0L Jeep Cherokee has developed a blower motor problem.

This started out as intermittency. I'd start the jeep, and turn on the AC, but the blower would not come on. I would feel cold air at the vents. After driving for a while, the blower would come on and run just fine. My wife advised me that hitting the dash would also occasionally turn it on.

This week, the blower has refused to come on at all, either for vent, AC or Heat. I can still hear the AC kicking up.

I replaced the blower motor speed switch, but still no airflow. I followed the wiring down to the blower resistor block, and I see strong voltage at the twin green wires. I've checked all the fuses in the interior and engine compartment, all ok.

Is there a relay on this year model for the blower that I've failed to find? If so, where would I look? The intermittent behavior makes me suspect a relay, but my Haynes manual is pretty useless on this point.

If there is no relay, how would I access the blower motor to check it out? Looking under the passenger footwell, I can see the squirrel cage, but I've no idea how I'd get to the motor.

Thanks very much.

fraserwag

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I fixed my '93 Grand Cherokee by just cleaning out the cage. It would work on high but not low or second. It didn't have a lot of debris in it, just a couple small leaves, but it made a world of difference just pulling it down and cleaning it out. My 2 cents. D Oh, my wife is a dashboard slugger too. Same thing, she'd fix it by slugging. (fixes me too sometimes)

Thanks, Bill. I took a look there yesterday. Turning the lid over, I see there is labels indicating the role of the various relays and fuses, but none mention the blower motor. There is a fuse and relay for the aux. fan, but it comes on when I turn the selector to AC, so I'm good there. All the fuses check out ok. I've tapped all the relays, and they test ok.

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Reply to
fraserwag

Thanks D. Maybe our wives are related.... :-)

Made a little progress on this. I found the blower motor. It was hiding in the engine compartment, passenger side, behind the washer fluid bottle. I was able to find the connector for it, so I pulled it apart. I ran a couple of jumper wires directly from the battery into the motor-side of the connector, and nothing happened. This looks to me like the blower motor has died. Local parts shop has one for 30 bucks, so I'll go get one, and see if this solves the issue.

Thanks for the help.

S.

Reply to
fraserwag

Before buying a new one, I would pull the old one and test it directly from the battery. BTW, my girlfriend likes to 'fix' me like that, too.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Carl,

Just remember that she will never treat you any better than she does right now...

Reply to
billy ray

Success! The blower motor was intermittent. As soon as I got access to it, I stuck a couple jumpers on it direct from the battery, and the sucker wouldn't turn. Once I pulled it out, I repeated the test, and at first it did nothing, but then suddenly caught.

While it wasn't too difficult a repair once diagnosed, I decided I'd replace the motor anyway, as for 30 bucks, at least I'd have new parts in there with a lifetime guarantee.

The squirrel cage had a really gross accumulation of crud on it. Solidified dust, that was almost greasy in consistency. I had to pretty much scrape it off, took about 30 minutes.

Once I added the now pristine squirrel cage to it, I gave the new motor the direct to battery check before I installed it, and is spun right up, so I proceeded to install. One of the 3 small bolts that holds the motor to the firewall is a little close to the sheetmetal, but a few choice curse words and a thin, deep 1/4" socket got me worked around that issue.

The wife just took the jeep to the convenience store, and gave me a call on the cell phone, telling me it hasn't blown air this cold or well for years. Even brought me an ice cream home in gratitude....maybe I should do more of the stuff on my honey-do list.... :-)

Thanks again to all for their help, I appreciate your time, and all the suggestions.

S.

Reply to
fraserwag