Brakes on GMC Sierra

I just bought a new '03 GMC Sierra 1500, ext. cab, auto, 4x4. The brakes feel a little soft to me, but I'm wondering if they are or if I'm just used to my smaller Dakota. Thought I'd check with you all to see if there is a known problem before I talk to the dealer. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks, Rosscoe

Reply to
Rosscoe

These trucks have soft brake pedals. Your Dakota had a very hard pedal that grabbed as soon as you stepped on the pedal. The GM Trucks have soft, inadequate (in my opinion) brakes. I've driven the Dakota and once owned a god damned Ram so I know what you are used to.

Joshua

Reply to
Joshua Phillips

Having had a 1999 Silverado for two years now and complaining that I thought the brakes needed bleeding for the entire two years to the dealer that I bought it from, I finally found some information from Chevy about the issue. It seems that the Anti-Lock brake system, with the proportional braking system is the cause of the mushy feel. The proportional unit sits under the drivers seat, attatched to the frame. If you ever jammed on them, on ice especially, it sounds like a machine gun going off, but it is the proportional valve and the Anti-Lock system working together.

System works fine, but is very mushy do to all the piping and system components.

Took me a while to get used to it, but it still stops on a dime if asked to.

Ed ( snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net)

Reply to
Edward Stammer

hi

I work in a GMC dealer. the only problem that I seen on these Trucks brakes is with rear pads wearing out sooner than the fronts. must of the one that i seen with this problem the tow heavy. beside that i seen them with 80k miles and still 20 to 30 percent pads life. great brake system.

Reply to
Rizal Martinez

Thanks for the feedback. Rosscoe

Reply to