Tacoma front-end shake

Hi, Just picked up a 1999 Tacoma Xtra cab V6 Auto with 90K miles on it. On occasion when I'm travelling 45-65 mph, what seems like the front end will shake through the steering wheel. Hitting the brakes results in a much more pronounced shake. I read about some common wheel and tire balance issues with Tacoma/4Runners, but seems I would consistently feel the shake if that was the issue. The front rotors were turned when I bought it just some 300 miles ago. Any thoughts what may be causing this? TIA.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

The problem with turning the rotors is that it makes them thinner and therefore even more susceptible to warpage. Try replacing the rotors, and checking the front wheel bearings while you're at it.

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

Are the tires in good shape and not over inflated.

"Facts are stupid things." -- Ronald Reagan, 1988, a misquote of John Adams, "Facts are stubborn things."

Reply to
Randle P. McMurphy

I had the same problem with my used Tacoma. When I bought the truck it had a vibration at about 65 mph. I rotated and balanced the tires but the vibration still persisted. Turns out that the BFGoodrich tires were cupped. I replaced them with a set of Bridgestone's and the vibration was gone.

Reply to
JC

Kyle:

Two things come to mind...

First, if the truck has aftermarket wheels on it (non-factory) carefully check the offset. The tacoma is nearly famous for having wheel shake at speed if you have negative offset wheels. I've had several friends that have cured wheel shake at 5565 mph by putting stock offset wheels back on their trucks.

Second, you may actually have one or more bad tires. I bought my Tacoma with 30k miles on it, and found that the 31x10.5R15 Goodyear tires on it just wouldn't stay balanced. After the fourth rebalance in as many weeks, it was discovered that one of the tires had what was described as a belt separation. Bought a set of BF GoodRich tires and they are still running fine nearly 80K miles later. They are, however, finally beginning to cup on the outside lugs of the tread, so the noise has begun to come up, but with 80K miles on them, you gotta expect something. The tread is still legal, and would probably make another

10K miles before they legally need to be replaced...

The suggestions about possibly warped brake rotors shouldn't be the cause unless the shaking only appears after you apply the brakes, not before. Rotors usually don't warp unless you've been abusing them by riding the brakes or otherwise overheating them. The comment that rotors that have been turned are thinner and more prone to warping isn't completely true. Yes, they are a bit thinner, (so long as they were not turned below the serviceable limit) but they are not really any more prone to warping than a new rotor.

Good Luck

--Rick

Kyle Tucker wrote:

Reply to
Rick Frazier

Thanks to all for the feedback. The truck has factory Toyota rims - some beefy alloy ones. The tires are some big fat Cooper tires that handle like crap. I'll zoom in on the tires and balance first. Thanks again.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker